Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple Mac OSX goes back to desktop when saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

leightur

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2008
GB
Connected to a Windows 2003 Small Business Server.
MAC OSX.

When I connect to a Macintosh share on my Windows 2003 Small Business Server via Apple Filing Protocol and navigate through my folders example:

AFP:\\SERVER SHARE\WORK\NAME\STATIONARY\ARTWORK

Open file from Quark Express, Photoshop, make a change to that file and then select save as... the default location defaults to my desktop as apposed to the directory in which the file was originally opened.

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution so when I save it does not default back to my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh

Hi leightur
I don't know about windows or servers, but when I open a Quark file on my Intel iMac with OS 10.4.11 and just hit SAVE it saves to wherever the file is located.
But if I choose SAVE AS then it will default to the desktop and I would have to navigate to wherever I want to save it.
So open a file and make some change and just click on SAVE and see what happens.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

When I just select save it appears to save in the correct folder on the network.

The problem also occurs when I try and get an image/text from the server. I go to get it once from a particular folder and then when I got to get another image/text it reverts to desktop.

We have another Mac with the same network settings and this works fine, that is why I presumed it was a setting on the Mac?

it sounds more to me like a preference default directory.

Usually when picking "Save As' you can select a location for the file to be saved, rather than using the default. I believe there is a button or drop down to click-on for more options.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back