Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple Laptop for iPhone dev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Toulouse

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi guys!

I know nothing about Apple hardware, but have been put in a position that we need to start developing iPhone apps.

Can anyone recommend a current model Apple laptop of a minimum spec that is required to start developing apps?

TIA
Neil

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

Thanks for the info, I will have a good look!

Firstly, the idea I have in my head(which may or may not be correct) of someone developing applications is that they'd spend alot of time in front of their system looking at code
To that end I would not suggest a laptop.

Here's why,
*Small amount of screen real estate (limiting what you can develop effectively).
*Small screen will also give you eye strain after prolonged exposure.
*They get VERY hot after 2-3 hours use. You're lap is going to fry.
*If you MUST use a laptop then got with a 15 or 17 inch model...13 inch is too smal to be of any use to you. The 15s are very good machines and are more than capable.

Personally I would suggest one of the low end to mid range iMacs. They're very capable and extremely well built. If you do buy an iMac invest in a better keyboard.. the ones they ship with are way too small for someone who types so much.

All of this is said under the assumution that you will not be developing 3D applications, but instead 2D applications designed to run under the iPhone enviroment or a simlar spec to the one your creating the app on.

Hi bayb!

This laptop will be in an office environment and so (especially as its an apple) will need to be locked away etc. It won't be used a great deal at the mo, and as long as I can plug in my 24" monitor and USB mouse/keyboard all should be well :)

Thanks for your response :)

i use a white macbook 13" for a variety of development projects (both in OSX and flavors of windows via virtual machines) as well as audio/video editing in OSX.
I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB and the hard drive to 500GB, both of which were very simple.
With the apple laptops, if you want an external monitor, make sure to get the right adapter and all will be well.

Honestly any Mac will work. We started with just an inexpensive Mac Mini. Obviously some things like a big screen and a faster Mac can make the experience more pleasurable. But anything works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back