Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apple IPhone and IPOffice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaze

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
CA
Anyone got an H323 or SIP application installed and working on an Apple Iphone ?

List applications (free or not) and comments welcome ! :)

Yaze.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder, my work here is done.

Had it working on sip and 2.2.1
I used siphone for it but it needed to be open all the time
If you closed the app or lock the phone it stops working
I did not test it on 3.0 yet
phone is not free until you jailbreak it !

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

There's an app called Fring which supports SIP. The problem with any such app on the iphone is that it can't run in the background and therefore is useless for incoming calls. Oh, and they are locked down to only using wifi as well, not 3G.

i found fring yesterday, ive installed it but havent tried setting it up yet.

Have you connected it to the IPO?

"There's a dog in the New Zealand section

I'm new to SIP and would love to setup my Android G1 phone (which I don't have to "jailbreak" to use ;) ) with the IP Office. Can you guys provide any more info on how I would go about doing this? External websites are great too, I don't mind reading.

Thanks!

I should mention that I already found SIPdroid for the Android platform for doing the SIP from the phone end. More wondering about how to hook it up to the IP Office.

I use fring (from the app store) as a SIP end point on my iPhone 3GS. You have to turn off "Requires Authorisation" on the SIP extension in the IP Office and use the extension number for both the username and password but it works great.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

@PotNoodleBoy

The name of the app escapes me, but it would trick apps that required Wifi into using 3G. It was an app from Cydia, so jailbreaking is in order to get that app.

There is also an app that allows applications to run in the background even after you close them, which might be helpful for a SIP application like this.

Kholladay,

Could you be so kind to explain some more about the iphone fring and sip combination , for example, do you have your ipo directly to the internet without a firewall, ; how do you recognize a sipcall and put it through yarr firewall.

Whats the config u use at fringg ?

It would be great to get it working!

Superguppei

I do have my IPO LAN2 on the Internet without a firewall but I can connect to LAN1 as well if I choose. I used NAT and port forward on the firewall to open up UDP 5060 and the RTP ports UDP 49152-53246 and pointed them to LAN1.

fring is about the easiest thing to configure. Under Add-ons click on SIP then Other and enter the extension number in the first field. Whatever password you entered under the User>Telephony>Supervisor Settings>Login Code as the password and the public IP address of your IP Office (either directly connected to the Internet or the NAT IP address through your firewall) as the proxy.

In the IP Office on your SIP extension deselect "Require Authorisation".

That's it.

Kyle Holladay

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

So, you actually do nothing with the sip line creation? just leave it completely as it is when you create it, offcourse the registration required unchecked...?

the fring thing is clear for me now , i let it connect and it says user or password incorrect, i have made a user called 8000 with pass 8000 and use my ip adress from the router, the router doeslets the traffic go trough with the udp and rtp ports.

in the manager i made an user 8000 , but what about the extension/>?

Thnx

Superguppei

You must create a SIP Extension not a SIP Line. This of course requires that you be running IP Office R5 (5.0.8 currently) as R4 did not support SIP extensions.

Kyle Holladay

Darnit ,

ive got 406 with 4.2 BOEHOEEE SNIFFF

Guess i cant update it to 5.0 it went into meltdown mode at an update :-((

Thnx anyway whenever i have enough dough ill buy a ipo 500

better ; next avaya summit i'll not only use all the beer but also nick a ipo 500 HAHAHAHA be aware !

Superguppei

You can go to 5.0 with the 406

Avaya_Red.gif

Hi Bas

I'm going to give it a shot (again) maybe i did something stupid (duh..) anyways it went red the last time , the one i've got working is 4.2 (49501)nin about 20 minutes ive got the full 623 mb so ill try to upgrade .

Making a checklist ;
-Order pizza
-Get some headache medicine
-Get some real alcoholoic beverages
-Start queen DVD

Superguppei

I have a 406.

try to make a backup first.
then default it thru the manager, upgrade and put the backup in (offline)

Avaya_Red.gif

Here what i am doing after a little bit of research on the net :

1 - I am jailbreaking my iphone, actually it just finished and went very smoothly...

2 - I will install siphone

3 - I will install Backgrounder which will allow me to run apps even if my iphone is on standby

Hopefully i will be able to receive sip calls even if my iphone enters sleep mode.

will keep you posted.

Yaze.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder, my work here is done.

I do have my IPO LAN2 on the Internet without a firewall but I can connect to LAN1 as well if I choose. I used NAT and port forward on the firewall to open up UDP 5060 and the RTP ports UDP 49152-53246 and pointed them to LAN1.

fring is about the easiest thing to configure. Under Add-ons click on SIP then Other and enter the extension number in the first field. Whatever password you entered under the User>Telephony>Supervisor Settings>Login Code as the password and the public IP address of your IP Office (either directly connected to the Internet or the NAT IP address through your firewall) as the proxy.

In the IP Office on your SIP extension deselect "Require Authorisation".

That's it.

Kyle Holladay

Having trouble with fring/xlite/3cx from outside the lan. I can get the SIP extension to work on the LAN, but cannot get anything SIP client to register via my WAN.

Kyle what router do you use? Although I have my sip ports forwarded correctly (and RTP ports), my sip clients do not want to register outside my LAN. (I don't even see anything in System Monitor when I try to connect from the outside.)

(Although I'm thinking of getting another public IP just for my LAN2 port on the ipoffice to get SIP on the IPoffice working to the outside world, I'd like to avoid that if possible since I'm thinking on replacing our router anyways. We currently have a kentrox 2300, works great, but is discontinued and they have been bought out.)

Thanks for any input you may have.

qtelcom, do you have a static Nat rule in place? That's how I have it along with port forwarding and it's worked fine since day dot of Sip extns (we use Cisco ASA box though) :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

qtelcom, do you have a static Nat rule in place

I have a section in the router that is labeled "NAT" and from there you can add mapped IP's/specify ports. TO double check, I ran port scanner from the internet and can see that port 5060 is indeed open, and via system monitor I can see the IPoffice SIP packets from that port scan I ran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back