Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appending Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

childlead

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
hi.

when i append data from one table to another table, i get the following message:

microsoft access can't append all the records in the append query. microsoft access set 0 field(s) to Null due to a type of conversion failure, and it didn't add 4942 records due to validation rule violations.

i continue and it doesn't add all the records. does anyone this is happening? i need to add those 4942 records. i don't need to know an alternative way of adding those records because i know how to do it but i just need to only why i'm getting this message. thanks for your help!!!

You get this message because you are trying to append data of a type which is incompatible with the field in the destination table. You may have set a validation rule on one of your fields, such as a date greater than today. It could be a rule which says that a field must be alpha and you are trying to import numerical data. It could be a whole variety of things. What you have to do is go back to the design of the destination table and check the validation rules, field by field. The rules are in the table towards the bottom of the screen. Post again if you still have trouble

hi.

i forgot to add that i already checked all the validation rules of both the original table and destination table and they all match. thanks again.

Set the field properties "Required" in the receiving table to "No" and try again.

You're not alone

TomCologne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back