Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append to 2 Tables with Same Form? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdegeorge

Programmer
Mar 19, 2002
US
Hi

I have 2 tables. tblPassword with 3 fields: UserID (AutoNum), User (Text), and Password (Text), and tblDept with 3 fields: DeptID (AutoNum), Dept (Text), DeptMgr (Numeric).

I have a form called frmNewManager that's based on tblPassword, and it has 3 fields: ctlUser (from tblPassword), ctlPassword (frm tblPassword), and ctlDept (from tblDept). The fields appear the order described above.

How can I add a record that will take the values of the 3 form fields and update both tables? I know that I need to store the new UserID from tblPassword to the DeptMgr field in tblDept, but if this isn't assigned by Access until after the record is inserted, how can I get the Dept name in the 2nd table?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

You should create a query that pulls data from the two tables and base your form on that. The recorset fromthe two table should update the fields you need.

AccessAce

Ah ha! Thanks! Enjoy the star.

Jim DeGeorge [wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back