Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append Query to external table help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moepower

Programmer
Oct 5, 2000
US
I have an external table link from MS Access to Oracle using the Oracle ODBC connection. I set up an Append Query to pull information from the MS Access table and insert into the Oracle table. The Query works fine on my machine but when I moved the MS Application to another machine, with the exact ODBC connection name and information, the Query will not insert. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Hi,

Is the second machine connecting to a shared folder on your machine? If so, is the folder set to read/write? By default folders initially set to shared are read only. Second, check the ODBC drivers for the apps. Possibly one is set to 16 bit and the other is 32 bit.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim,

The MS Access application is being copied onto the hard drive of each machine. All workstations are running Windows 2000 with Oracle 8.16 SQL*Net client and MS ODBC. For the life of me, I can not see any reasons why this should not work.

Do you know if I can look at how MS Access is doing the External table link connection? Selecting Properties on the linked table in MS Access does not give me any usefull information. I want to see how Access is linking to Oracle and if there's anything hard coded.

thanks,

For the link properties, look into the MSYS* tables. they are normally 'hidden', but you can view them if you select "view system tables" form one of he menu items (I think it is statup options).

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back