Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Append or Update Query - Help Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheetsERR

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
Hey, all!

I've been working on a form and subform for the last few days. I can't seem to get past the issue I'm going to explain below. Your help is needed!

tbl_Month has only one column - Month. Obviously, the table contains one row for each month. This is the table that corresponds to the main form in my form/subform issue.

The subform is based on a query. It contains the following fields: Community, Accountant, LateFeeStatus, Comments. I've got the form and subform linked on the column Month. So, for every month in the main form, there are several records in the subform.

The columns Community and Accountant in the subform are pre-filled. The user does not need to enter them. However, the user will need to select a status in the LateFeeStatus combobox and enter an optional comment in the Comments textbox.

What I need to do.....

When a user enters records on the subform for one month, I want those values to pass to the next month's records. This sounds a bit like Default Value attribute, huh? Keep in mind, the columns Community and Accountant are already pre-filled for each months set of records. The user will just select a LateFeeStatus and enter Comments. This sounds more like an Update than an Append. What do you think?

All ideas are welcome!

Thanks for your help!
Sheetserr

For your late fees and comments fields on the form, you can create combo boxes set as follows: limit to list = no, row source = table/query, then create a small query of your data sorted ascending by date (or your autonumber field, if you have one; this field should have Show unchecked) and SELECT DISTINCT Last([LateFeeStatus]) (or comment, as appropriate), and set the bound column to the column with your value.

This sets the last entered value as the only value in your combo box dropdown. You can also set Default = [comboboxname].ItemData(0) to have that option automatically selected for your users.

Geekmonz,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a shot.

Sheetserr

Sheetserr,
Hope that helps. Good luck. I hope you get it sorted out in a manageable way.
Geekmomz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back