Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APPCRASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
I am facing a problem that suddenly that a window pops up saying Java Platform SE binarying has stopped functioning. It gives me two options, either to look for it on the internet or close the program. I have tried both but it stills comes up againg.

The deatil window explains is a APPCRASH hehand the program name javaw.exe. It is apparently a file from Java, I have reinstalled Java that didn't help, so I removed Java from my laptop and it stills pops up.

I have ran my antivirus and antispyware prorgrams, but it hasn't help stopping this window and recovering my browsers, even they found some items.

Further my other browsers Firefox and Opera are not functioning at all, I can only use IE9.
Any helps are highly appreciated.

I was wondering if its a good idea to replace the ntdll.dll file with a fresh one, as I see this appears when I want to start Google chrome.

Does anyone know where I can get this file from a reliable place?

The System File Checker would have checked ntdll.dll for you and replaced it if it was faulty.

The file would be obtainable from any other working machine of the same edition and version of your operating system.

Have you updated to SP1 yet, removing or installing SP1 would give you a new copy of the file I imagine?

Otherwise searching for it online is an option, just how reliable such a file would be is anyones guess.

These are the details of my file on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

ntdll.dll C:\Windows\System32 1,292,096 20/11/2010 3:24:36 AM 23/02/2011 3:11:06 PM 16/04/2011 9:33:22 AM A dll

The Windows on my laptop was preinstalled and I have my Windows updated to SP1.
The ntdll.dll in my system has a size of 1,731,936 byte (which is somehow bigger compared to your file), with version: 6.1.7601.17514.

I have searched the Google and it seems that there are others who have faced problems with this dll file, and has caused crashing softwares like IE.

I found this site which gives some explanations about this file,

I will see what it comes up after I update my drivers and reply.

I consider that site and the hundreds of others punting out Regcure to be written by forum spammers and crapware sellers.

I think the problem is solve now.

I have uninstalled all the browsers on my laptop except for IE 8, and installed the Minefield, instead of Firefox 4. Now both these two browsers are working well.

I guess the problem started after updating the Windows 7 to SP1, as I remember Firefox 4, Opera and Google chrome worked well until I updated to SP1. And I am no longer receiving any APPCRASH for any files or programs,.... at least so far.

SP1 is NOT the problem. I also have Windows 7 installed with SP1. I also have IE9, and fF4 installed. Both work without problems. I had chrome installed, but do not like it at all, so removed it.

IF the problem comes up again, I would re-run chkdsk with the /R option. It does some other things as well. I would also go thru the system registry MANUALLY and remove entries from programs you've un-installed. Then do a defrag. My not solve the problem, but can't hurt. AND if all that doesn't do you any good, I'd back up my data, and then re-install the OS. Yes, I know it's a lot of work, but in the future may be the only way to really fix the problem.

@PRPhx: mach04 didn't say that the problem was SP1, only that the problem started after he'd installed it.

PRPhx:
I did run a chkdsk/r once again, and it didn't find any failures. I am still unable to use FF4, Opera and Chrome, and it teases me why its happening.

The program I used to check the size appears to be in error, the Windows Properties also shows the size of my file as 1.65 MB (1,731,936 bytes).

Did you ever check with a different user to see if the problem still occurred?

I have tested by creating different users and it makes no difference at all. Other browsers are not working at all, as they used to in the beginning I bought this laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back