Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appaling performance on Solaris 10 running on M5000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushikbramesh

Programmer
Mar 12, 2007
EU
Hi

We have Solaris 10 running on a M5000 server.
We are trying to investigate a serious performance issue on the server. We have looked at various things such as I/O, CPU, memory, network...

CPU
The CPU seems to be 80% idle.

Disk I/O
isk I/O is not so bad.
We have occasional peak on /tmp

Memory utilization
Around 40% of memory is free, the system is not swapping too much.

Network
the network utilization is around 50%.

The system has 64 cores 128GB physical memory, 1GB network (fibre), 4 128GB internal disks. We have mirrored 2 disks together to make it two separate mirrored volumes.

I have ran out of ideas, I'm not sure where else to look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
KBR

you might want to explain more about what performance issues you are having if you expect to possibly get help.

We definately need more info, but.....

I was installing Solaris 10 on a PowerEdge 2850 with a PERC RAID card....it was horribly slow even though there was no disk or cpu activity. I reconfigured it not to use RAID and suddenly everything was fine. I then traced it to a compatability issue with my PERC card.

Try running it in SCSI and not RAID...see if that fixes it

You might also want to investigate your mirroring, particularly with regard to possible controller issues.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

A GigE network adapter that is saturated can consume a cpu.

System is not swapping much. Well with 128GB of RAM, and you have 40% free memory, I would ask why you are paging.

Disk I/O isn't bad. What do you consider bad? And you state it peaks on /tmp. /tmp is a filesystem, and if you only have two disks, then most other filesystems will have the same disk as /tmp.

Running a database? Java? Not even a vmstat or prstat. Did this just begin occuring?

I have 7 years on large Solaris servers and 16 years on large AIX servers, so a bit of advice: if you want some direction on where to look, provide some data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back