Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App will run with VB installed, but will not when uninstalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytehead

Programmer
Jul 12, 2001
US
Guru's,

I have created a Standard.exe project which connects to our internal AS400 database and runs a Stored Procedure using the Data Environment options within Visual Basic. The application from the design environment works great.
I am successfuly able to compile the application into a .exe file.
I have used the P & D Wizard to create a standard setup package and also deployed this to a common server location. So far all is well.
I have installed the application on my PC (which is also the development PC) and it works great.
I then installed the application on another machine (which is not a devlopment machine) which has identical OS and network privleges. When I run the application and it trys to connect to the AS400 database I get the following error:

"Application-defined or object-defined error, 713"

I have found that if I load VB 6.0 on the user machine (non-development machine) the application will run great! But if I un-install VB it produces the error above.

So, after all that I am baffled! Does anyone have a suggestion?

Brian Noll

How are you connecting to the data source? It may be necessary for you to install the MDAC on the target computers as well (you would think that would get picked up in the installation packaging as a dependency, but sometimes it doesn't). The same goes for the VB runtime DLLs. Check out this URL for those:

The PDW does not pick up all the dependancies that are required for your app.

Try using a 3rd party installer like SetUp Factory, you can get it at there is a 30 day trial version availible for download. This should allow you to quickly create a setup.exe for distribution around you network.

Dazz
Live2Give (My job is so stop secret, not even I know what i'm doing)

OK, so option one was to run MDAC_TYPE.exe and also install the runtime DLL's for Visual Basic 6.0 and option two was to download a 3rd party installer like SetUp Factory.

Option 1.
Installed the runtime DLL's and then used MDAC_TYPE.exe to install my application. Same result.

Option 2.
Downloaded the free demo verision of SetUp Factory. Generated my setup.exe and installed my application (making sure to include the runtime DLL's through SetUp Factory). Unfortunetely, I got the same result.

I am new to this sport, but this seems like it should not be this difficult. Generate the app on a Win2k development machine. Create and deploy the application to a Win2k user machine. I could see if I was crossing OS's!

Dude maybe I should get a DELL, that's right we run DELL's so that must not be it.

Helppppppppppp???????? I have this great app that saves $1000 of dollars a month and I can only run it on my development machine. Unless I want to put the same copy of VB on all the target machines, but that's not "legal".

Did you try installing the VB runtime download from Microsoft?

just a grasp at a straw but, can you tell where the app generates the error on the non-development page ie when a certain form loads or a connection to a database is made? If you can pinpoint a control or something that gets loaded at the point of the problem you may be able to aquire some more info on the problem. Anything is possible, the problem is I only have one lifetime.

Here is the possible solution!

Source is:

PRB: Run-Time Error 713 Opening Data Report in Distributed Application (Q248055)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Visual Basic Professional Edition for Windows, version 6.0
Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition for Windows, version 6.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
You are distributing a Visual Basic application that includes a data report. After installation, you receive the following error when you attempt to open the data report from your application:

Run-time error '713': Application-defined or object defined error

CAUSE
The Data Report run-time file (Msdbrptr.dll) was not included in your setup package.

RESOLUTION
Following are two methods you can use:

Open your project, and include a reference to the Msdbrptr.dll file. This file is listed as Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0 in the References dialog box. You may see Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0 listed more than once. Make certain that the file associated with the reference is Msdbrptr.dll. Once the reference has been verified, rebuild your setup package.

-or-

Manually include the Msdbrptr.dll file in the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW). You can add the file manually in the Included Files dialog box window when you run the PDW and then rebuild your setup package.

After the installation, the following files should be present on the target system in the indicated folders:
<windows system>\MSDBRPTR.DLL
<program files>\common files\designers\MSDERUN.DLL
<windows system>\MSSTDFMT.DLL
The inclusion of MSDBRPTR.DLL (and its dependent files) usually corrects this problem. If you are still experiencing problems, make sure the following files are included in your package. Data Reports are not directly dependent on these files, but if the files are missing it may effect the Data Environment used by your report.
MSDATREP.OCX
MSBIND.DLL
MSDATSRC.TLB

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.

MORE INFORMATION
There are two files installed by Visual Basic that are very similar. The two files are Msdbrpt.dll and MSdbrptr.dll. Both are listed in the References dialog box as Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0 . The Msdbrpt.dll file is the data report designer, and the Msdbrptr.dll file is the data report designer run time. It is the run-time version of this file that you need to distribute with your application. There is no dependency file for Msdbrpt.dll, and if this file is installed with your application a data report does not function properly.

There are a number of ways in which to add a data report to a Visual Basic project. With two known exceptions, Visual Basic adds the correct reference. If you make this reference manually, the similarity between these two files makes it easy to reference the wrong file. The other way to get an incorrect reference is to add the data report component through the Add Components dialog box. This adds a reference to the data report instead of the data report run time. Under these circumstances, the data report works only in the development environment or when installed to a computer that has Visual Basic installed.

End of Topic.

I hope this helps.

kwikdata

You guys are Grrrrrrrreat! The Bug reported under Q248055 on Microsoft's website was the trick.

I even searched Microsoft's Knowledge base for &quot;713&quot;, but I must have missed that one.

Herman you were the winner, but I appreciate all those who responded! |-0

Regards,

Brian S. Noll
Software Development Engineer II
Design Services
Engineered Systems Group
York International Corporation
Telephone: (717)771-7587
Cellular: (717)495-7513
Pager: (717)848-7566
Fax: (717)771-7297
Email: Brian.Noll@york.com

Herman,

Prior to my last response, I Clicked the link to &quot;mark this post as helpful or expert post&quot; for your answer. If there is somewhere else let me know. I definetely will give credit where it is due! X-)

Regards,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back