Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App Isoloation Environment - experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denacho

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
Anyone have any experience with this in PS4? Just reading about it today and I might have a use for it at our company - we have some apps that still use Office97 and some Office2000. I actually hope to get it down to 2000 and call it a day, but read about AIE and thought I'd look into it.

I read a posting on but am still a little fuzzy on installing apps.

Just curious on any info anyone has on this!

Hi!

I fiddeled around a litte bit with AIE and found it very good actually.

The pros are that you can keep the Citrix server clean from shared files, AIE will emulate a %windir% for the application so no more messy system32-folders.
Also, it is very easy to remove installed software as it is installed in a single folder with all it's settings.
It's getting more *nix-style, remove the folder and the app is removed. Although you need to remove the register branches as well.

However, at this point I am curious about how AIE will handle applications that installs services and applications that need ODBC-connections to gather data.

I am not sure about this or if AIE handles that as well.

And... I mostly do industrial software (SCADA)in Citrix and I found that seamless is not goos with AIE. As soon as you "frame" the app, it works.

-Anyone have any ideas about service installs in AIE and ODBC-connections?

/Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back