Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App errors: 1008, 13538, every 15 sec in WIN2000 server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrStack

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2001
US
I keep getting these two errors in my event viewer in Windows 2000 server Application events every approx. 15 seconds:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Perflib
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1008
Date: 11/12/2001
Time: 12:58:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER1
Description:
The Open Procedure for service "FileReplicaConn" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\NTFRSPRF.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.
Data:
0000: 02 00 00 00 ....

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTFRSPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 13538
Date: 11/12/2001
Time: 12:58:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER1
Description:
The call to the Registry failed in the Open function of the FileReplicaConn Object. The counter data for this object will not be available. The FileReplicaConn object contains the performance counters of the connections over which files are being replicated by the File Replication Service.

I am using WIN2K with all the recommended updates up to the date of this post. The only thing I have been able to find out is that the file "NTFRSPRF.dll" belongs to service pack 2 for WIN2000. Does anyone know what would cause these errors and how to get rid of them?

Thanks

- Mike, spinning in cirles s-)

Have you installed SP2? Are you using file replication at all? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Yes, I have installed service pack 2, and no, I am not using file replication, as far as I can tell. I am a little familiar with dfs, but it is not set up on my server. I didn't think it was necessary, as we only have 24 nodes to worry about. I did read some of the step-by-step guide to dfs, and it says that when WIN2000 server is set up, the service is installed and started automatically, but that you have to go in and set up the dfs root and the replication policy, along with a bunch of other things, and I haven't done that. :cool:

Hi Mike,

I think butchrecon was asking about FRS (File Replication Service) not DFS - DFS does require FRS though (god too many acronyms:) )

I think this is indeed the root of your problems - you will have FRS set up by default as it is required amongst other things to replicate the sysvol share amongst DCs it replaces the NT Lan Manager Replication service.

Try forcing the File Replication service to
re-create the registry keys that point to the system monitor counters for the File Replication service:
1. Type the "net stop NTFRS" (without the quotation marks) command at a command prompt to stop the File Replication service.

2. Start Registry Editor, and then delete the following registry keys:

a. Delete the FileReplicaConn folder and all the subfolders, which are usually located under the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key.

b. Delete the FileReplicaSet folder and all the subfolders, which are located under the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key.

3. Restart the File Replication service to place the two keys back in the registry.

remember to f5 to view the updated keys!

Hope this works

Cheers
Neil

Yeeeehaaaa! You da man, Neil! Your solution was the ticket. FRS was preventing my Server1 from becoming a domain controller. The procedure eliminated a couple of related error messages I was getting in the System and Directory Service event logs. Thank you! I really appreciate your help.

- Mike B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back