Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App behaves badly only when installing on another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdddms

Programmer
Jul 3, 2004
US
I created an app in vb6 (SP5). It works great in the VB enviornment. And when the app is installed on my pc (same as vb is).....however

When the app is installed on other test-pc's for beta testing it gets all sorts of weird.

i have 2 databases (access 2000) that are installed with the app. a SYSTEM (can be replaced for autoupdates) and a DATA (stays on the users computer gets personal info added to it)

When using the installed version (on testing pcs) i can utilize some of the functionality which writes/retrieves from both databases, however there are two forms which crash the app. (shuts the app totally off-no error no explanation-restarting the app produces the splash screen but no MDIForm1 (which is the main form))

I installed MZ-Tools and recompiled the package using the PDW.bat file and the NEW EXE FILE. When reinstalled on the test machine it gives me an error message (put error handling MZ-TOOLS into problem forms) a weird - error code that is like 9 digits and tells me UNRECOGNIZED DATABASE FORMAT. I click ok and it brings up the form, but when i try to invoke anything that requires a db query, it crashes again, with no explanation.

Relative info on the test machine:
WINDOWS 2k SP4
LOTS O RAM
P4 3 GHz
OFFICE 97

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I am losing my mind. I am two problems away from a functional BETA release and i am chomping at the bit!

Thank you in advance. Anyone to help me is sure to get major stars and a bit of thank you in my system credit.

Regards,
Stew

LoL Concepts®

You'll need the later version of MDAC from Microsoft download site to get into a Access2000 database on a machine that's only got Office 97 installed. A search for 'MDAC' on this forum will give more details

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

john-
this will stop the issue i am having? with the crashes. I thought everything that the app needs is installed during setup?

LoL Concepts®

Unrecognised database format is the error message you get if you are using data components from an older machine with a newer database.

Check out this forum Search tab for the error message or see

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

John-
That didnt really answer my question. I have used the Jet 4.0 in my connections. They work perfectly on my puter. Other forms which write/retrieve data from the DBs work fine, just one two particular forms cause VB to bit it when its installed on different machines

LoL Concepts®

if it only happen to some particular form then
-check to see if all the .dll or ocx you use in the form are included in the installation (shouldbe copy and register). If they are using some of the add-in from access2000 or excel make sure you add those.

-the form just close by itself without any error usually a dll or ocx corrupt or missing(or they are in there but not register.

hope this help

Interesting point. I actuall repackaged this app with a little more error handling. I also noticed it wanted to add the DAO36 i believe. I am using ADO in the app, so i took it out in the package, maybe this was creating the issue, cause now she works good in XP home. As for the MDAC...i added a get MDAC version to my app and checked my own. my PC is running 2.7. the XP home was at 2.0 so i don't think in the end it was the MDAC problem. still stumped

LoL Concepts®

you mean it is working now or you "still stumped" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back