Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apllication and QueryString Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrathi

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
US
Hi,
Thanks for all the responses.

1. When I transfer some variables using a querystring to another page, is there a way that my querystring cannot be seen in the address bar of the browser. I just want the user to see and not the querystring.

2. The concept of asp.net application is confusing me. I am developing two applications. I have one user login page for both the applications. Once the user logins, based on his login conditions he/she can access 1, 2 or neither applications(folders). Should this all be as one application, or can it be different applications. How many virtual directories should I create?

Thanks again for the responses in advance.

1) No, but you can encrypt it. If you are worried about security then the best way is to not pass it through the querystring at all.

2) It depends. If the applications interact with each other (apart from just the login validation) then I would personally create one application. If they don't then I would create two applications which both access the same web service for login verification.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facilty ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thank you for the reply.

1. I am not worried about security. So maybe, I will just go ahead and pass it as a querystring.

2. The applications don't interact with each other. Can you please throw some light on "web service for login verification". Do I need to create a web service? Currently, I am creating the login folder as an application too. I am using VS 2003. I would appreciate if you can give me some example.

Thanks again.

What I meant by "web service for login verification" was that I would:

1) Create a webservice with a function that would verify me. e.g.
Code:
    Public Function VerifyMe(ByVal strUsername As String, ByVal strPassword As String) As Boolean
        If strUsername = "me" And strUsername = "password" Then
            Return True
        Else
            Return False
        End If
    End Function

2) This webservice could then be called from either application by calling the function e.g.
Code:
If VerifyMe("Me","password") = True Then ...

You don't have to do it this way (i.e. using a web service) but in these circumstances it would be my preferred method if I was accessing the same function from multiple applications.

Thanks again.

Does that mean that I do not need a virtual directory for the folder containg login.aspx and related pages? Also, if I have separate applications, and after successful login I save the username in session, can I access the session(username) in both the applications?

Thanks

Does that mean that I do not need a virtual directory for the folder containg login.aspx and related pages?
Using my example above they would both have their own login pages but they would access the same the same web service.

Also, if I have separate applications, and after successful login I save the username in session, can I access the session(username) in both the applications?
Not by default. If they are seperate applications they have their own virtual directory and their own session/application state. There are workarounds to be able to share the state between multiple applications although I have never personally used it.

Hi,
I am having some trouble with session state.

I have three folder in my application. I have my login pages in one folder, and other pages in another folder. After successful login, I response.redirect to another page and also save the login information in session. So far it works great. Now from the second page, I am trying to response.redirect to third page. On the third page I am trying to use the session variables I had stored earlier.

I keep getting the error, set enableSessionState=true. I did set this in web.config file, but I still am getting the same error.

Please help.

Never mind, it seems the following was the error

I was trying

Dim abc = "X" & Session("user")

It does not accept that.

The following solved the problem..

Dim abc

abc = "X" & Session("user")

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search