Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API vs Database triggers (Need suggestion please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahssan

Programmer
Nov 4, 2003
KW
Hi All,

I have an upcoming projects which needs integration of one application on windows server to integration on other Unix server.

The data from appA has to pass to appB. Im suppose to suggest the management a solution. The easiest solution is to create triggers at db level of services running in back ground to transfer data. But Im thinking of using a provided API for AppB and skipping the triggers or back ground services.

Please any body advise is using API to transfer data is better than using DB triggers or back ground services.

NOTE : the API provides all the functionalities of App B so i dont have to call extra module to do the rest of the functionalities of AppB.

All kind of advises and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks All

Depends a little on how much data you need to pump around. If it is not too much I would suggest going through the DB, as it will be more flexible to edit later. For high-speed stuff, I guess you should go direct, but it will not be that easy to find a good and stable communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back