Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC UPS Not Keeping System Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
Hi experts,

I have installed the APC 650 BackUPS to my home PC running Win 2000.

Problem: The PC immediately goes down when a power outage occurs.

- I have the monitoring cable attached to the PC and the UPS
- PowerChutePlus 5.2 - Status says 'Online'
- have 'Enable Application Shutdown' checked - 60 seconds

What oh what could the problem be?

Thanks, John

What do you mean by immediate?

How much load is present on the UPS?

Is the computer hooked into the battery backed receptacle or the surge only ones?

How old is the unit, frequently the batteries are over a year old when you receive a unit. Personally I seen the batteries only last 2 years on some units.
Battery manufacture date is located batteries themselves. Open the unit's battery compartment to check, also look for bulging of battery walls= dead battery

What do you mean by immediate? within 2 secs it goes down. that's immediate Logs dont even reflect that the UPS tried to keep it up.

Is the computer hooked into the battery backed receptacle or the surge only ones? the regular receptacle

technome (How old is the unit?) - it is about 6 months old. Ive already considered the obvious things

thanks John

do you have a printer hooked up to it? also make sure that the pc is pluged into the ups side on some thares 2 sides one side is the back up side and the other side is just a power strip. and this is probobly a dumb question but when you bought it did you take the yellow tape off the connectors when you started to charge it or plug it in? and also let it charge for a few days with out and pc or monitor on it. and a word of adive never never ever put a printer on the ups it will drain the power so fast its useless printers are too much of a load for ups's. hope this helps.

What all is connected to the UPS? (monitor, printer, pc, coffee maker, alarm clock)

I only ask, because I get that call all the time about UPS devices.

Is it shutting down, or hibernating? Is windows or the UPS software shutting down the PC, similar to just hitting the power button (quick shutdown)?

Even without a software in place, your UPS should last longer than 2 minutes. If it doesn't either you battery is bad or your load on the UPS is too high. I can not think of anything else it could be.

... apparently I had a bad battery, even though it was less than a yr old.
I replaced it and everything is OK now, it stays up when the power goes off for a moment.

Thanks for everyone's tips. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back