Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APC PowerStack 250 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hi Everyone.

I just bought a APC PowerStack 250 UPS for a network switch at a client's office I am working with right now. The entire building is wired in Cat 5. This switch and UPS is located down in the basement in an enclosed rack where all the cables come in. We would like to be able to manage the UPS in the basement that is connected to our equipment from a computer upstairs. The UPS does have a management serial port, but the cable they gave me is only 2 feet long. Anyone have any ideas how I can manage the UPS with a computer upstairs. The reason we are looking to do this, is if the UPS starts to fail or some event happens we want to know about it. Like I said, the UPS is connected to our switch which is the core of our network and we don't want that going down without warning. Any help?

-Chris

Hi Chris

You can try and get an extra long serial cable but is that viable?. The other option you have is in the parachute plus software (should be provided with all APC ups hardware) you can set the software to send alerts to specific locations/e-mail address. You would have to connect the serial cable into a local machine with a network / internet connection and set up the message notification to specific addresses. Hope this helps

Hi,

Our only problem is that the machine is upstairs or a workstation I should say. I would like to run it through the Cat 5 cable, which comes into the same rack where this UPS is, and somehow tie it in that way. Any ideas?

Right

Not to sure about conectivity with the cat 5 cabling the only ideas i have there is sharing the device btu im not sure if that will work? APC provide a specific extension cable for the data lead may involve a little more wiring but it will solve the problem ( hope this helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back