Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache2 with SSL--SuSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegomatic

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2008
US
I'm hoping this turns out to be just some stupid typo I made along the way, because I had it working at some point...

Anyway, I have Apache2.2.10 running on SuSE Linux. We have a couple of IP based virtual hosts, and a couple of name-based virtual hosts running on this machine. We want to have regular and secure versions of our IP based hosts.

The non-secure sites work just fine, but when I try to go to IE says it cannot display the web page, and Chrome says Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

I do not have a specific line in listen.conf saying Listen 443. If I put that in there, the error message in Chrome changes to Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR) (There is a note in listen.conf indicating that at one point having Listen 443 in there caused Apache not to start. If I put it in now, Apache starts just fine...)

My mysite-ssl.conf looks like this:

<IfDefine SSL>
<IfDefine !NOSSL>

##
## SSL Virtual Host Context
##

<VirtualHost ipbased.virthost.ip_address:443>

# General setup for the virtual host
DocumentRoot "/srv/ ServerName ServerAdmin webmaster@mysite.info
ErrorLog /u1/howdo/logs/error_log
#TransferLog /var/log/apache2/access_log
CustomLog /u1/howdo/logs/access_log
--snippity snip--

The SSL Engine is set to on, and the server certificate, key file, etc. are all in place and being pointed to correctly. I don't believe I made any changes to the conf file below that point.

apache2ctl -M shows that the ssl module is loaded.

Port 443 is open on the server's firewall.

There is nothing new in /var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log. It was last written to sometime last month, which is when I was messing around with this.

Any ideas? The odd thing, is that when this was just a test machine, I copied over the .crt, .key, etc. files from what was then the live server and plunked 'em in place using (I think) the same configuration as above, and they worked, after a fashion. At least the web pages were displayed.

Thanks in advance for any help. This board has saved my tush several times!

veg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back