Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apache wont work on internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

makemoneyy

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
US
I have install apache, php, and MySql on winXP PRO sp2...
Everything works great on and But I can seem to open any pages from the internet.
My external (WAN) IP address is I have configured my apache as follow:

------------httpd.conf file configuration----------------
# I have moved port to 8888 because read that some cable companies turn off port 80 for security reasons...

Port 8888
ServerAdmin webmaster@24.98.163.181
ServerName 24.98.163.181
---------------------------------------------------------

Router setup as follow:
---------------------- Router ---------------------------
Port forwarding to LAN IP
192.168.0.2 on port 8888 and 80 just to be safe....
I Configured my Default DMZ Server to 192.168.0.2, also.
---------------------------------------------------------

I have tried ping to WAN IP 24.98.163.181
It looks like it getting all the packets.

But when ever I type in the WAN IP I get nothing...
And I have no idea I to do now....
Please~ expert any help will be appreciated...

I Configured my Default DMZ Server to 192.168.0.2, also."

I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Your port forwarding would be useless if you have a DMZ configured for the same IP address.
A port forward to port 8888 on your machine would be fine.

Are you just using to access your web server?
Try specifying the port number as well.

Alchemy is easy with Perl!
s/lead/gold/g;

Im getting a timeout on that address.
It gets to 'ATM3-0-0-1.ia4.optus.net.au' then dies.

Alchemy is easy with Perl!
s/lead/gold/g;

apache should be listening for address 192.168.0.2 not the public address of the router. When an http request comes in on the router it forwards it to 192.168.0.2 so apache needs to listen for its own address or the default which is all addresses "*". You may not have to go through all this if port 80 isn't being blocked. You can make sure by having your ports scanned here:

i been truning it off when i'm not using the computer...
i because i see no point right now...
but i'll have on if any body wants to test it...

-------------------------------------------------------

I scan it but port 80 comes up as stealth. i'm not sure if that's why i can't view from the internet?
but anyhow i have apache on port 8888 now.
so it shouldn't matter
also, i change the apache setting so that it will point to 192.168.0.2 but it stil does not work...

i forgot to mention...
i have norton virus scan and that has firewall...
but the cunstom setting of internet setting for programs says apache program is permitted for internet access

You need to start from inside your network and do some basic trouble shooting. A couple of things that you've mentioned, don't agree with each other.

From inside you network (preferably another machine), test both and Do they both work? Does only one?

I noticed that you have used the "port" directive to bind to port 8888. Later versions of apache no longer use "port". They use the "listen" directive. You should have a line that looks like this:

listen 192.168.0.2:8888

However, if other machines on your network can find it, then apache is setup correctly. The problem seems to be with your router's configs. Before you can ping your router, you may have to tell it to allow itself to be pinged.

i have tried ping my self with WAN IP [24.98.163.181] and it works but i still can't find my site from internet...
help~!

Well you don't count. ;-) Someone from the outside world needs to be able to ping the router. How else will we know if the router is receiving requests from out here?

I just found out that they cannot PING from outside....
I had my friend, who is on different network, ping my address but it came up as "request timeout,"
and 100% lost of data...

What is this mean? why can't they ping my address...
is this why my site will not work on internet?
what is the solution to this problem...?

Go to and see if it shows the same ip that you say you have. It's rare but people have been known to get the wrong ip. You should see a few tools there such as ping, lookup and traceroute. See if you have any luck. If not, take your router out of the loop and connect the server directly to the modem. Go back to and run the tests again. If it works, the problem is in the router configs. If not, the problem may be with XP's firewall. Turn it off. Also turn off any virus protection while running the tests.

i found something weird about my router....
is this normal?
if i connect directly to internet i get different IP everytime. however, i use my router to connect to internet i get same ip all the time. That mean even if i reset the cable modem i get same IP [24.98.163.181]. what is this mean? i think this is the reason i can't view my web from outside...

makemoneyy,

These are three different issues.

1. If you're on a cable modem, when you connect your computer to the internet, you're assigned an IP address from a pool of addresses. You might not get the same one each time.

2. If your router is getting the same IP address each time, check to make sure that it's set up for dynamic IP. If your router is broadcasting a specific IP, that IP might already be assigned by your ISP to someone else.

3. If you can't view your website from outside, that's probably a function of your router as well. Some routers do not reply to incoming ICMP requests by default. You'll need to read the documentation for your router.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back