Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apache won't start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazilian

Programmer
Nov 14, 2003
US
i tried running "#apachectl start", and an error message came up stating "too many open files". what the heck does that mean? anyone know how to resolve this one? thanx.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

It probably means what it says. We can be a little more helpful if we knew what os and conditions you were trying to execute that command under.

oh yeah, duh, i guess that would help. running linux and apache 2.0.45 with php 4.34. and right now, i'm simply calling that command from inside the bin dir that apachectl is under. confusing thing is, is that i have the same set up on another box that is exactly the same, and that box runs fine. out of ideas at this point.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

This sounds like an OS level problem, you are out of file descriptors so something on that machine is eating them all up.

ok kewl, that makes sense. just i don't see anything that is taking up fd's. oh well, guess i'll now take this to the linux forum. thanx guys.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back