Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache tuning/sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinAB

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
JP
Hello!

Are there any guidelines how to size and tune an apache?

On the server we are onely using the rewriting rule and there is also our company website on it.

How schould I configure the server to get a good relation between the parameters of the httpd.conf (MaxServers etc.) and the used hardware?

Our server will be an intel platform wit an 1 Ghz processor and 1 GB RAM.

Maybe someone has interesting informations.

Thanks
Martin

Hi,

I am using Apache 1.3.23.
The platform is an SuSE Linux 8.0.

Thanks
Martin

The bad news is that there's not an awful lot you can do to seriously improve the performance of Apache.

The good news is that tweaking isn't really necessary. Apache is already seriously fast.

There are a number of directives which you can tweak. I can't give you any specific guidelines for hardware, but I'll list the directives and you can check them out in the documentation.

MinSpareServers
MaxSpareServers
StartServers

MaxClientsListenBacklog
Timeout
SendBufferSize
KeepAlive
KeepAliveTimeout
MaxKeepAliveRequests
LimitRequestBody
LimitRequestFields
LimitRequestFieldSize
LimitRequestLine

Let me know if you have any additional queries.

A really useful tool to help you tweak the directives is the ApacheBench benchmarking tool. It lives in the Apache bin directory, called ab (running ./ab with no parameters will bring up usage instructions). ------------------------------------------------------------------
It's important to think. It's what separates us from lentils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back