Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've installed apache 1.3 on RH7.2 for the first time. It's working when I access pages via the local browswer, but I cannot get it to serve pages to other machines. Whats wrong? Thanks, Glenn

Can you ping the server from the other machines? C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

I have the same problem, and I can ping the server.

What now?

Yes I could ping the server. When I installed Redhat, I remember something about the "firewall" and I didnt select figuring I could setup that up manually later. I couldnt figure out how to open port 80, so I reinstalled redhat, selected and it works fine now. go figure. Now where did I put the "redhat for dummies book?" haha.

try disabling any iptables/ipchains that you have running /etc/init.d/iptables stop
should do the trick, then try again...

another idea, telnet to port 80 type get /
then press enter twice and see if you get any response...

---
John Hoke
If you found this post helpfull, please click below and let us know!

Hi,

If its the redhat firewall you just admin it by doing (as root) :

# /usr/sbin/lokkit
or

# /usr/sbin/gnome-lokkit

The 'rules' (truncated ipchains commands without the actual 'ipchains' in front) are written to /etc/sysconfig/ipchains so you can tweak it manually if you have any trouble.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back