Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache Problems, no one outside my network can see my server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simcop2387

Programmer
Jun 18, 2002
US
ok i've setup port forwarding on the router and it doesnt work, i've tried (i think i setup the server conf right) to set it as a different port in case my isp is filtering it, its on a mandrake 8.1 machine, i dont know what else to put here right now as i dont have much of a clue what it could be, and thoughts, maybe the modem is doing the filtering? (i dont know)

Whats kind of firewall do you have? Is your internet connection via a dsl router?

This link will scan your ports and tell you if they are blocked. Type localhost in your browser on the machine that has apache running and see if the website comes up. If it does, then you have httpd configured correctly. If you are using the router as a dhcp server, you can't do that because it has to forward all http (port 80) requests to the same internal ip every time. If this doesn't work, then we need to know a little more about how you have your network set up.

ok i'm not using dhcp on the web server, its always at 192.168.10.6, i've got the port forwarded, i'll do the port scan when i have the web server turned on, i havent had it on since it cant do anything really, yea the webserver works fine, before i got cable and i was setting up the network to handle it i was acutally working on a few cgi scripts in c and they worked fine. sorry i forgot to tell you what type of connection i had, its a cable, and yea its via a router, i've setup port forwarding. i'll have to turn on the server again soon and try that. i wasnt sure if there was any option in the apache conf that would keep it from allowing outside connections.

The port scan will tell you if your isp is blocking those ports. You can use any machine that has access to at least check it out. I have cable too and they block everything now, and I mean EVERYTHING, and a dynamic ip to boot. I had to have a friend host my sites until I get dsl.

well my isp isnt filtering everything, just some things, b/c when i set up the webserver as a DMZ on the router, i can telnet into it remotely, and ssh, so they arent blocking everything, my ip is done with dhcp, but it has yet to actually change still 24.158.33.143, for about a month so i think thats not going to be a problem, but i got another Q can DNS tell a browser to use an alternate port? if it can then i think i know how to get it to work, remove the telnet server or change its port and setup the webserver to use port 23, i believe this may be beyond the scope of DNS but i dont really know much about it, if it is than i've got to figure out the problem, i'm betting that port 80 though is blocked by my isp, if it is then i'll have to figure out something to do, maybe use a registrar with free domanain name forwarding (i think thats what its called, i've seen it all over the place)

ok this is a little off topic, but yea i did forget to take the computer off dmz, and well someone tried to login over telnet, though from the logs it seems they just checked it, but anyway, who ever has this ip 12.220.101.25, please dont try that again.

Can you configure your router to forward all http requests to port 5121? If not, you may use a dns pointer service such as dns2go and have them forward all request for your domain to your dynamic ip and port. By the way, godaddy has pretty low prices for domain names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back