Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

apache on windows 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs7536

Programmer
Apr 20, 2003
US
I have a wesite that I would like to host inhouse, I have my domain name already registered as a dns server and the domain name pointing to the server as well.

the site is already in place on the inhouse server and I can access it by way of htt://???.???.???.?? ip address but name will not point,

Now the question is do I have to setup my windows 2003 server as a dns server beside the hosting config I have done in apache in order for the dns to point to the box or is there a setting in apache that bypasses dealing with dns in windows and deals with dns in it self.

if dns in windows is the answer a detailed refference would be helpful beig that all dns info I have located on line for windows is all speaks of active directory and not of webservers.

Nothing is hard when you realy want to learn it.

Max

A little more info about the existing setup is required before anyone can give an accurate response. I assume that the domain registrar has some dns servers that go along with the domain name registration.[ol][li]What is the point of entry to your network from the internet? The apache server, the SBS server (assuming they are not the same box), or some other device like a router or firewall?[/li][li]What does that existing DNS record (provided by domain registrar) point to? One of the devices above, some 'coming soon' page that they are hosting, or something else.[/li][li]How does your existing SBS network resolve DNS? As I recall, doesn't SBS try to install itself as a DNS server?[/li][/ol]

I have registered the dns on the register and I also pointed the domain to the dns1.?????.com

so that part of it is fine.

on the local side, I have a t1 with static and subnet, gateway.. dedicated.

the server has that information hard coded into the card so that fine.

the ip address assigned the server is set and thats fine cause i can access the site by way of ip from anywhere so thats fine.

but accessing it by way of the actual domain name is not resolving cause I am not sure how to do that on my side.

dont bring people to my office to see what i'm doing, bring people to help me with what i'm doing.

Max

Something is not fine because you've stated that it's not working. If you post the domain name, someone can probably help. Here's how it usually works:

Your registrar will probably have the athorative dns server for the domain name that you won't post. This dns server will probably be named something like dns1.yourregistrar.com It will have at least 1 "A record" that will point your Fully Qualified Domain name to some public IP address. This IP address should be the static public IP address assigned by your T1 provider. If your T1 provider has only given you 1 public IP address, your gateway device will need to be configured to forward TCP port 80 to the private IP address of the web server (which it might already be if you can access the webserver from outside your network by using the public IP address).

that fine I dont have a problem with that,
the dns for the domains have already resolved at the registar level, the issue is on the dns servers I have localy

can't we all just get along

Max

I think I have the dns servers here configured incorrectly there for the information required to propergate is not trasfering cause nslookups can see it.

Max

thats is my point. is there a step by step windows dns instruction that tells u how to setup dns fo web servers, everything zi found incorporatesactive directory and I guess thats where I am getting confused.

I never once used the dns ip address assigned by my t1 provider, I only used the dns ip's on the nic card. I am sure they also belong in the server 2003 dns setup. I am assuming that is.

Max

The problem does seem to be because your nameserver aren't answering. This conversation should probably be in forum950 because it has nothing to do with apache, but we've gotten this far so..... The two IP addresses listed at your parent name server are valid aren't they? Are both of those IP addresses assigned to you by covad (or your ISP if you haven't bought the T1 service direct)? Are the machines at those IP addresses directly accessible from the internet or are they behind a gateway/firewall device? If they are behind something else, port 53 will need to be forwarded for dns lookups.

ip valid yes they are, assigned yes.at the momment no firewall but will soon but yes gateway, covad saids that they leave all port open but i can check that they do have port 53 open

Max

OK, step by step:

Step 1--> your name servers dns1.afropalace.com. & dns2.afropalace.com. do not answer requests.

Possible reasons - wrong IP addresses listed for those nameservers, firewall blocking dns communications, no dns server running at those ip addresses...

Step 2--> find the problem at Step 1

I think wrong Ip address, i used the 66.166.12?.?? and not the primary dns and secondary dns ip addresses that covad gabe me

that is the ip address for the spacific computer

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back