Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apache on NT, Suggestions, Comments, PLEEEEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChoppedLiver

Technical User
Aug 17, 2001
US
Hello all, i hope newbies are welcome here. I am an experienced programmer, but I am new to Oracle and web development in general (kinda got pushed into a new position). I will be developing a 3 tier system (browser, app server, db). The db will be 8i on an NT machine. My development platform is NT 4. The middle tier appserver will PROBABLY be NT. It seems all of oracles middleware HTTP listeners are "Based on Apache".

1)How do these perform?? Everything i read on the web says Apache is experimental on NT, so does that mean it is garbage?

2)Should I use IIS? Or should the middle tier be a Unix box?

3)If the middle tier is a Unix box, will this present a problem since my development platform is NT? Im sorry for all the questions, but I really could use some seasoned advice.

Thanks
ChoppedLiver

ChoppedLiver -
I feel your pain - and of COURSE newbies are welcome here!

We've been using Apache with very good results on NT. In fact, going from Oracle's previous web servers to Apache was one of the best things we've done lately.

We have setups that include Apache on NT and Unix, and they all seem to work well. We've done mix-and-match with the various platforms and seen no problems.

Ok, thats good to know. Does anyone else have any input? I really do need to get as much real world input from people as possible. I find it much more informative than reading books and documentation.

As far as I know IIS is much more experimental on NT then Apache :). Apache on NT is experimental in comparison with Apache on Unix, not with other web servers since IMHO NT is less reliable server platform then Unix is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back