Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aopen CDRW Stops Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

OWizard1

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
CA
I have an Aopen CDRW that shows up fine in device manager and works fine for a day or two and then it stops working,drawer won't even open.The only way to get it working again is to reboot computer.I have updated the firmware with no success with the problem.I changed from master on ide2 to slave on ide1 with the same result.Running Win 2K Pro.I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas anyone might have on solving this problem.Thanks.

It is possible that another program is using some of the same resources required by the cdrw. Have you tried going back and closing all other programs? I had similar difficulties with some antivirus programs. Nortons was one although they said it must be some thing else. You could try ctrl alt delete once to see if there is a program not responding in the task manager. If everthing is fine in device manager then it is most likely a conflict in software.

No,I have shut down everything possible and run with the minimum but it still happens.Right now it is completely dead,no lights no nothing.The only way to revive it is reboot and then it will work for a day or two.Trying lots of things but no answer yet. Beginning to beleive that this burner is not going to work properly in this computer.

What burning software are you running. Sometimes this can be the problem.

Shouldn't be the software because it stops working completely as a cd rom without ever firing up the burning software.

How old is your drive? I had almost exactly the same problem. Turned out that the drive was dead.

Cheers,
Paul J.

The drive is less than a year old and has always done the same thing.It will work fine after a reboot for a day or two and then it is as if the computer forgets it is there.I tried a firmware upgrade the other day but it is still doing the same thing!!

Don't be too certain about it not being software. I use Nero and its InCD is sitting there all the time looking at the CD-drives.
Just had a thought (it does happen!)
My (new) CD drive sometimes has trouble reading a CD. Re-boot and its fine. I use W2K Pro and re-boot probably once per week. The re-boot is usually forced on me because all sorts of things just start not working - CD drive, modem, FDD. W2K's best effort was uninstalling my (external) modem.
Re the CD, I just realised that I have both InCD and Creative's Disk Detector running at the same time. Have turned off Disk Detector but heaven knows when I'll find if this has had any effect.

Cheers,
Paul J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back