Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOPEN CDR-W drive weird behaviour under Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubah

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
BR
Hi All.

Im running "Nero Burning ROM 5.0.3.5" and "NTI CD-Maker 2000 Professional" under "Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.222" in my old but reliable AMD k6-II 500 (2x30GB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, 512MB SDRAM).

I was just trying to copy a 11 MB PDF to a SONY 700 MB CD-R with my AOPEN 1232 CDR-W drive.

Its an easy task and I never lost cds doing this.

At least until today.

I burnt the cd at 4x to avoid errors.

But the copied PDF file simple cant be opened --Adobe Acrobat reports errors reading the file.

I burnt another one but the same occurs.

And again the same with the four multisessions I tried.

And even more...

-- If I try to copy the file from the cdr i burnt to another folder (harddrive) the same occurs.
-- If I try to export the PDF as JPEG and then copy the JPEGs to the cd the same occurs (they are ok at the harddrive but appears as bad encoded when copied to the cd).
-- If I use another cd to avoid bad media problem the same occurs.
-- If I try to use a CDRW the same occurs.
-- If I change from Nero to NTI Cd-Maker the same problem remains.
-- And NOW, the worst: If I try to copy whatever I need, not just the defffective PDF/JPEG files, the same occurs.

Tried to update the firmware (in fact I dont know how to do it) and the result is (error when I use firmware 1.31, 1.22 for Aopen CDR-W 1232). (Im not using any Dell System.)

Can anyone explain me why its hapenning and how can I solve this?

Can this situation be created by (now removed) Google's Picasa Graphic Viewer wich its own feature to record cds? Any DLL changed by this software?

Thanks in advance
André

What format are you selecting in Nero when making the CD?

Can you try the CD-R or CD-RW on another PC to see if it can be read?

At the very least, you should be able to copy any file you burned back to the hard drive. What's the error you're seeing?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi cdogg.

Im using ISO level 2, Mode 1, ISO 9660, Joliet.

Each cd I burn *can* be read. Just the files arent ok.

Now no matter the file I burnt they appears (JPEGS) as bad enconded. If the file is the original PDF, Adobe Acrobat cant read the whole file -- always appears the same dialog box...

"ADOBE ACROBAT: There was an error processing a page. Wrong operand type." So I click the only button available "Ok".

Then the new dialog box appears: "ADOBE ACROBAT: There was an error processing a page. Wrong number of arguments for a setcolor operator."

Again after click "Ok" appears the 3rd dialog box: "ADOBE ACROBAT: Wrong number of arguments for a setcolor operator."

IF i try to click on the thumbanails sections here what I found: "ADOBE ACROBAT: There was an error dislaying thumbnails. There was a problem reading this document [14]."

So the file itself can be copied, and operated by Windows. But *cant* be used in Acrobat cause in fact its destroyed after copied to the cd. (Note: The original file stored in my HD opens perfectly in Acrobat, the same for every "bad enconded JPEG" -- they are only bad enconded AFTER being copied or opened from the cdrom.

I restored a 4 months old partition image (Drive C:)created with Norton Ghost to check if the old partition restored will remove any possible software problem wich maybe can be the reason of this "bad recording sessions".

No sucess. If I try to record the same content using an "assumed well function system configuration" the result is the same.

Can this be just a software configuration issue?
Or maybe its a hardware (even an IDE cable) problem?
Any sgestion?

Thank you very much for your attention.

All the best,
André

pubah,

There is too much in your description that seems to indicate this is a problem with the file itself or Adobe Acrobat. For example, it seems that the PDF has embedded links or objects that are pointing to a file or location outside of the PDF. If that's the case (and it's only a guess), then that would explain the error messages after you move the file to another drive letter.

How about a simple test? Make a *.txt file in Notepad and copy it to the CD. Does it open from there?

Also, what about what I mentioned earlier about copying the PDF from the CD back to the hard drive? Does that work? If so, can you open the file you just moved back to the hard drive (need the error if you can't)? Maybe you've already explained this, but I just want to be sure and get the error message when you try to copy it back, or when you try to open the copied file from the hard drive.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back