Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aol7 - Can't access ANY url's from my browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisciple

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
US
Can't access ANY url's from my browser..
Here's the important specs:
- Aol7;
- I.Ex {ie: the LATEST I.E version that's bundled w/ Aol7.}
- O.S: Win Me;

I reseted default options in "InernetOptions" in CntrlPnl;
Nothing;

Re-installed Aol7, got online again, typed a URL in the addr. bar -- still unable to jump to any URL whatsoever!
All I get is something to this effect:

"Unable to access URL...Work offline..."
Has anyone else been xperiencing the same problem?? If yes, then did U resolve it & how? =ThnxInAdvnce=
"So I took the roll and ate it; In my mouth it was sweet as honey but in my belly it was bitter as wormwood"

Can you access the web by using Internet Explorer that came with windows? The Aol browser is tied in with Windows IE and if one cannot access the other usually cannot access. It should give you a better idea of what is going on.
Let us now what happens when you try the windows IE browser.
fedto [cheers]

Hey there "Fedto": "Can you access the web by using Internet Explorer that came with windows?"

(A): No, 'cuz i have dial-up Aol7 which connects me to the net; So in order to access the web, i have to go through Aol7 which unfortunately results in an error pg everytime i type a URL or try clickin' on the word "internet" on Aol7's
toolbar. Please don't misunderstand me...I DO connect via Aol7,I DO get to Aol7's HomePg, but i just can't access sites at all.

"Thnx4UR timely response" "So I took the roll and ate it; In my mouth it was sweet as honey but in my belly it was bitter as wormwood"

Allow me to clairfy, AOL is the ISP and in versions 3.0 and later will allow the AOL user to access either by using the AOL supplied Web Browser AS WELL AS INTERNET EXPLORER which CAME with the Operating System. I have used AOL for several years that way, because I hate having to go through their service. IN using your web browser that came with the system, one does NOT have to go through their service to gain web access.
fedto[cheers]

Ahhhhhh...WELL said "Key-Moe-Sabb-y" :-} .

Your clarification deserves (3) thumbs up!
So in order for me to access via IE, all I have to do is DBL-CLCK IE's icon? What settings would i change to allow this to happen?

ThnxNPlanes dude !! "So I took the roll and ate it; In my mouth it was sweet as honey but in my belly it was bitter as wormwood"

You won't have to change any settings. just dial into aol and double click the internet explorer icon and it will launch.
If there is a problem with IE which is causing the aol browser not to function properly, it will become more apparant. I say this because aol uses the same settings that IE is using, at least for the most part. But to answer your question, you will not have to change any of the aol settings.
fedto [cheers]

Hey "Fedto":

I figured that I had to first connect to Aol7 which I did; I did afterwards open IE w/ homePg set to: "...aol.com" -- No Bueno there;

My Alternative:

I reinstalled IE, & prblm STILL occurs.
Well, I'm gonna install Netscape instead to see if it works and / Compuserve too.

***** HEY BTW,
"just dial into aol and double click the internet explorer icon and it will launch" ...U DblClk AFTER Aol's BROWSER opens or WHILST it's going through steps PRIOR to connecting?

Well man until then I guess,
ThnxNPlanez.
"So I took the roll and ate it; In my mouth it was sweet as honey but in my belly it was bitter as wormwood"

Check AOL I beleve there is a seprate ME version for AOL
keyword windows ME or just ME ?

Hey FlashTag, I'll try dat. Eventhough when I conacted AOL TechSuppt. NONE of them suggested dat. They did say for me to download IE5.5 etc among other things but to no avail!

Afterwards they ALL said that the problem's NOT on their end but a Microshaft prblm -- the blame game.

thnx. "So I took the roll and ate it; In my mouth it was sweet as honey but in my belly it was bitter as wormwood"

Try rebuilding the aol adapter. I've seen it fix your type of aol browsing problem many times. If this doesn't fix it dump aol and get a real ISP.

1) Log Off AOL. You can't do this while you are online with the service

2) Close America Online.

3) Go to the Start button, select Settings, then Control Panel

4) Find the Network Icon and double click on it to open the Network settings window

5) Scroll through the list of Network adapters until you find the AOL adapter, then click on it ONCE to highlight it

6) Click the REMOVE button to delete the AOL adapter

7) Close the Network window, and any other windows you have open

8) Go to Start, then shutdown the PC

9) Reboot the system and open AOL again from the menu or the AOL icon on your desktop

10) Log back on to America Online. The adapter will "rebuild" itself when you restart AOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back