Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL Internet sharing in Win 2k Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej999

Vendor
Aug 21, 2001
GB
I want allow internet sharing for my client machines. The Host machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. My ISP is AOL. Unfortunately AOL uses it's own dial-up Adaptor. When I installed the AOL software it installed an WAN network driver/adaptor.

I will be gratefull if someone could advise me on how to get the ICS working with AOL in Win 2k. The client machine can ping the host.

Host LAN ip: 192.168.0.1
client: obtain ip automatically
Host WAN ip: auto, sharing enabled.

Thank you

EJ

I get the feeling AOL does not encourage any type of connection sharing. Tried that angle several months ago.
Suggestion : give AOL the 2 finger salute and jump ship to an ISP that leans more favourably towards "open Standards".

I have actually had pretty good luck with Verio as an ISP that has a nice connection manager with all the nationwide phone numbers in it. But they also let you use a standard dial up connection without any hassles like I had when we tried AT&T, AOL, and Compuserve for the salesman on the road. These hassles become a eral pain in the you-know-what when you start trying things like VPN.

Try MSN they have a three month free for current AOL customers, Think about DSL or another high speed internet. I have noticed that when a server is setup to dial on demand for the clients, the phone bills ca get quite expensive. Qwest 79.00 per month etc.

mark
mark@acsconsult.com

There is a proxy called Wingate that has been around for a long time that will handle AOL Services in it's latest release. We have used Wingate for a few years successfully with a regular "open standards isp" and it works fairly well. Beware, proxies tend to be configuration nightmare's and dial up connections become very slow with more than 10 or 15 clients sharing it. We only have a few more weeks and we'll be turning up a DSL in all of our offices. This is a cheap, and efficient method, only if it is available to you!
Just go to You can download a two user free license to try it out.

Pilot1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back