Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL browser not responding to pop-up stoppers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
Does anyone have advice about AOL compatibility with pop-up stoppers? The built-in AOL defense isn't doing the job it is supposed to, and the IE ad blocker I installed doesn't seem to have any effect. I haven't used AOL for over five years now, so I don't know what their issues are nowadays. Could the problem be spyware or adware that is circumventing the blocking software? I am also not too accustomed to dial-up accounts so any tips on how to improve this client's situation are appreciated. (We will be moving them to dsl soon)

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

"The built-in AOL defense isn't doing the job it is supposed to"

do the popups have "Messenger service" in the title?
You may suffering Windows Messenger Service spam, which cannot be defeated by AOL's popup blocker, but is beaten by deactivating windows messenger service. (links to helpguides can be found in faq608-3482)

If this doesn't help, if you could post back with a description of the adverts / URLs, this may suggest what's causing the problem.

You may also want to run Spybot Search & Destroy - the link is in the faq as well.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Yes, I believe it does! Thanks for the tip!

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back