Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL Broadband and VPN issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilcorbett

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
LU
I have AOL broadband at home and I am trying to VPN into the corporate network using the WatchGuard Mobile User VPN software.

The connection connects fine and I can Ping, use email, and system applications fine however when I do a start | run | \\server name or try to any access any file based shares I get:

"there are no login servers available to validate your request"

I have Symantec Client Security (Av and Firewall) running however I have fully disabled this and it makes no difference.

PC is Windows 2000 with all Service packs and hotfixes applied.

I have tested the connection through some friends BT and Blueyonder accounts and no problem. I have also tested over Voda Data card which is very slow but works fine. So it is something on AOL causing the problems.

Any help very appreciated.

Neil

AOL runs(or did) a vpn network.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

It is very likely an MTU issue, that presents itself when the file being loaded exceeds a certain size.

. First you have the issue that AOL Broadband DSL follows nobody in the industry for the PPoE MTU.

. Second, you have a VPN that often requires a much lower MTU value than non-VPN broadband use. See a recent discussion: thread585-892045

I would test the thing in two ways:

. Deal with the AOL broadband MTU issue by a tweak test, and a setting of your client and routers:
Use the BroadbandReports tweak site to download and use DrTCP.

. Now you have to experiment. I would start with an MTU for the VPN client of no more than 1300, and work downwards.

Again, see the recent thoughts I had about this in the thread linked earlier.

Many Thanks for your replys.

We have now fixed the problem ;-)

Their is a problem in the AOL software itself, possibly the VPN issue that NetManRick mentioned.

If you create a DUN connection with a phone number of ,38 (the comma is needed!) then establish a connection with AOL on this connection and not the AOL software you should be able to VPN in okay.

Your user name is screenname@aol.com and password has to be no more than 8 letters, so if yours is 10 just type the first 8 and you will be okay. Makes no sense to me either but thats AOL for you....

If you need access to your servers etc you will need to drop in a DNS server or edit your hosts file for the PCs/Servers you need to access.

Works sweet for us.

Thanks again :)

try to access the server \\<ip address> of server and you will it.

Regds,
Kaushal Vashisht
I Am from INDIA. LAND teach the world about Mathamatics & started Universities to educate the world.

Neil

I have exactly the same problem as the one you describe with AOL and VPN - Glad I'm not alone - I didn't fully understand your reply about how you fixed it - could you give me a little more detail on the DUN set up you used ?

Hi Plugnplayplease

Nice to know were not the only ones ;-)

From what I understand about AOL is that the software creates its own VPN based connection to AOL so when you try to VPN to your system it has problems creating a 2nd VPN.

You need to stop the AOL VPN from enabling. To do this you simply don't use any AOL software on your PC. (Having it installed is fine just dont connect using it.)

Create a DIAL up connection specifying your BroadBand modem as the device and the phone number is ,38 ("," is needed) username and password are your usual AOL screen names.

Once you connect using this connection you should be connected to AOL. Now connect your VPN as normal.

Hope this clarifies things if not get back to me with where your having problems.

Neil

Neil, thanks, I have an ADSL router on a home LAN (walls too thick for wireless and 2 holes in ceilings make it a long and painfull installation !) rather than a broadband router but I get the principal of it, I'll have go at re configuring the router and see where I get to !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back