Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOL and Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFAERBER

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
I have a friend who has Bellsouth DSL and a Linksys wireless WRT54G router and linksys wireless-G notebook adapter. He can connect to the internet using IE but when he tries to connect using AOL it drops his wireless connection. He can connect at other wireless points. He is using WPA-PSK authentication.

I have the same setup at my house but I am using WEP.I brought his laptop to my house and able to connect to AOL. For some strange reason I have to go to the wireless network connections and click use windows to connect my wireless network settings. But after that I am able to connect to AOL.

PC is a Winbook J4 running Windows XP.

Thanks in advacne for any suggestions.

Ricky

I need to make sure that I understand your question correctly.
I belive that you are asking why If you click to use windows to configure my wireless that AOL works but if it is not then AOL does not work?

Or why does it work at your house and not at his?

Please advise

It does work on my network, and I am using WEP for authenication. It does not work on his network using WPA-PSK. To make it work at my house I have to go to the wireless network connections and click use windows to connect my wireless network settings. Not sure why this doesn't save?

Ricky

I have just run into the same situation with my father's laptop running AOL on XP. It's been running fine for months with Linksys WRT54G (WPA-PSK) and AOL 9.0 SE until about a few weeks ago. I'm now in town taking a look at it. You're message here at Tek-Tips is the first match I've found. Any solutions yet (without having to go to WEP)?

Doug

WEP was the only solution I could get to work.

Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back