Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AOFO Error, Drive Not Snappable

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickletech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hello everyone, I am having trouble with my AOFO. Every night when the backup runs it will not backup user's .PST's. It says they are corrupt, but I know this isn't true, as I created a brand new one, with 5 emails in it, and it said the same thing. It also says the drive is not snappable. I had just upgraded my Symantec Antivirus (from 8 to 9) so I thought that might have been the problem. I excluded tmp and vsp files, as per Veritas' website to no avail. I am running Backup Exec v9 on a Win2k server. I have been ripping my hair out for the past week trying to figure this out. Please help me :) Below are the errors I am getting:
OFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "SAMHOLFP000\BKUPEXEC". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
Backup - C: HolsrvWARNING: "C:\USERS\Pwesorick\PERSONAL.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

First make sure your running 9.1 or 10.
If your running 9.1 /10 look on the C: and E: drive for a hidden folder Called Backup Exec AOFO store. If there is a large file with .vsp extension then a job was run and it did not clear the OFO static volume file properly. You have to reboot and delete the files. Mostly likely the issue is antivirus software grabbing a hold of the files. So the directory or .vsp need to be excluded from virus scanning. If you running 9.0 then there should be large .tmp file in the root of E: C: and only way to get rid of them is to reboot.

Thank you steveot, I am running 9.0. I forgot to mention that I did check for the .tmp file. No luck. I have all .tmp and .vsp files excluded from the antivirus scans. Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

How do I get an invitation to download it? I am pretty sure I have a maintenance agreement.

Thank you, I was looking all over their download pages and couldn't find it. :)

Did the solution help, pickletech?
I have the same issue.

Thanks
Bravored

Bravored - Don't know yet. I am still in the process of updating. You have to reboot after each update. I should know tomorrow. Wouldn't hurt to update it anyway.

Sorry for the delay, I have had unrelated problems rebooting the server. The upgrade did not fix the problem though. Anyone have any other ideas?

After playing around some more I have noticed that when I stopped backing up so much the problem seems to go away. I am still backing up files that are in use and need the OFO, but it seems that if the tape is near capacity then the OFO will not work. Anyone have ideas of why this happens?

We've had this issue just once and guess what... it's only been since we upgraded from norton 8 to 9. I'm telling you I have never worked with such sh*t software in all my life. I am convinced that this is causing the issue as it's a constant battle to get norton to function like a normal piece of software and not hog all the servers resources.

I will report back in a few days if it's still happening...

PS for those of you who want to destroy a system in less than 1 week install norton systemworks. It works a charm... just make sure you hate the person who's machine you're installing it on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back