Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anything to keep track of installed software? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbl

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
The next time I rebuild my system I would like to have some software that keeps track of the software I am installing. I would like it to prompt for extra information such as key codes, where I got the software and where I am storing the installation files. The only things I can find are enterprise solutions. Any recommendations?

An Excel sheet or .. a piece of paper?
Cheap and effective, certainly with a PC crash.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

An Excel spreadsheet! What a brilliant idea! Twenty years on computers, and I couldn't have thought of that by myself.

norbl; Yea sometimes the simplest solutions just go right over your head.

My point was thatmost of that type of softwar gets used for a very short amount of time, then 'forgotten'.
Another point is, alot that use such things on personal PCs have it all in that app, but .. no backup, then a disk crash, and all is lost.

Bottom line, a plain piece of paper will do just fine, if you forget, so what, it cost you nothing.
An Excel sheet with some form in it is easy to make and print out and fits on a floppy.

Automation, tools and gadgets are all very nice, but seriously overestimated.

In the line of Franklins post, the simpler the better.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

While I agree a spreadhseet or piece of paper is cetainly the easiest path to take I would aslo recomend Belarc, it's free, easy to use and should give you everything you're looking for.
Sometimes it's just as easy to use the solutions someone else has given a lot of thought to.

Belarc is good for after the fact. What I am looking for is software which would pop up whenever new software is installed. It would ask for pertinent details such as software keys, location of install files (i.e., CD, URL, etc) and other things. In other words, it would force you to do organize as you go along. Then when it came time to rebuild your system, all this information would be in one place. Also, whenever software is uninstalled, it would removed this information from the database.

Yes, if I were super organized I would keep track of this using something like Access or Excel, but unfortunately I'm not. If there were something to force me to do this when an install is triggered, the rebuild process would go smoother.

I know whenever I rebuild my system, its performance improves drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back