Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone with NEC experince?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyitsthephoneguy

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have an office of 7 users (approx. 15 sets) and we're looking to purchase them a new switch.

Currently I'm comparing a Partner ACS with Voice Mail & an NEC Electra Elite.

I'm a Definity Administrator by trade, so I'm unfamiliar with the two models above....a Definity is just too pricy to go with so here I am.

Anyone with use or experince of either switch?

TIA,
Steve

I usually look after nortel equip. but i also do the nec elite,so is it easy to set and program i think that compared to the N* i would say NO.There is no programming that a customer can get into without being in the main programming and with out the 4 big system binders you are stuck.But on the plus side the elite has a whole lot of features the make it a versatile system, also the V/M can be hooked up to a laptop for easier programming.
BTW i don't know what a Definity is so i can't compere that with the elite who knows it might be a breeze for ya.
Good luck with either or neither

I run the Definity too and just to throw a wrench in your gears, don't overlook the Panasonic stuff: Feature rich, easy to program, reliable and, best of all, inexpensive. I'll put an NEC in for the technophile office but for plain vanilla folks the Panasonic is a winner.

The partner system can be programed from the master set.
Its not th easiest thing. Makes a definity look easy.....
But they also have software available so you can do it from a pc. I haven't tried the software approach so cant say if its difficult or not.

Just a plain old plug...

I've simply never had any problems with the NEC gear.

I haven't used the others mentioned above for comparison.

much luck

A IVX 128+ or a IVX 20 would best serve you unlike most systems out there the IVX has built in Voicemail and Auto atendent also provides call notifacation you cal look at the system at

Hi there Hayits......I normally look after Ericsson MD switch's but have found Panasonic as maxg says solid not to hard to set up, have a look on the Panasonic forum & ask about them there. Cheers

I am a Definity person and I have a Partner in my home, yeah, I know....overkill... it is a good system and easy to program. I have had fairly extensive experience with the smaller NEC switches and think they are fine but they can be way more expensive than the system with the same features on a Partner platform ... I would stick with the Partner.

NEC Elite systems are very reliable, have a great inskin voicemail and are really flexible. I've installed most ypes of systems and I would probably put in and Elite if it was my choice.

I've never dealt with Intel-Tel before but I've heard they work well.

Most systems that are put in these days are under utilized and almost any system built in the last 10 years suits about 95% of the average business needs.

The most important part of a phone system purchase is the skill of the installer. A good installer will make almost any system sing. A bad installer can use the best equipment and still make your life miserable.

i agree with billyho
the weight of the technical world lies on the back of the installer it is up to us to make or break the install

a system is no better or of no more use than the person installing and training

we all know 95% of what a system can do people dont use
we show them what they need

Those are all great sytems and have used all of them but it sounds like he has a cheap customer. You might look at the new sts from Vodavi. It is rock solid and also has an inskin voice mail card that is cheap. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back