Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using VNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjbn

Programmer
May 20, 2003
EG
Hi!

I'm just wondering if anyone out there uses a shareware editing tool called "VNC"? More info about it can be found here:
I'm wondering if other offices are having success using it? We've recently implemented it in our office and overall it is working great. We have run into a few glitches, like the fact that we can't figure out how to see previous screens like we could using ctrl-pageup with Reflections. Anyone out there use VNC with success?

Thanks!

I've been using VNC for a long time, and yes it works well over a LAN connection. It bogs down over a WAN/Internet connection though, so you're better off using a commercial product like pcAnywhere when accessing a client through a slower connection.

Thanks for the comment. I am using it over a LAN connection as well, and have found it to be a great tool. The problem that we are having is that we are using it to work on a UNIX server, and are unable to scroll up to view more than just what is on the current viewer screen. Reflections (our previous software) allows you to use ctrl-pageup to view your previous commands. VNC does not seem to allow this. We also have been unable to get it to recognize the higher PF keys, like F9-F12. Our UNIX termdef is set to recognize aix keystrokes (aixterm).

Anyone have success mapping any of the above keystrokes?

Other than that, I'm very happy with the product.

Thanks!

Perhaps you are expecting it to do more than it is intended. I personally don't consider VNC an "editing tool". I consider it a "remote control" tool. I use it often to connect to other remote machines to do on those machines whatever I could do locally. I have no problem passing any function key presses across. Are you running the latest version? v3.3.3 R9

The editing power is that you can edit a file on one machine using tools on it from across the way on a machine that doesn't have those tools. The paging issue is something that should be handled by the editor on the target machine, not the remote control program.

One limitiation is that if you run multiple monitors on a Windows box, you can only view the primary monitor. When you pop in to check your mail and outlook opens the email on a secondary monitor, you have to know the secret keyboard shortcuts to move the active window into view on the primary monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back