Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using the new dual core processor with large access queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeep2001

Programmer
Dec 15, 2005
US
Is anyone using a dual core processor with large access queries?? When I run a large query against our DB2 backend ODBC database, sometimes a large query can take 1 hour to process, and it locks up my PC. This seems to happen to most Access users. Dell has come out with a new processor which is supposed to multi task better.

DB2 + ODBC + Access + Network + BIG Query = Slooooooow

I'm using a dual-core processor and, as long as everything is local, the processing is pretty quick. I do notice some response degredation on large queries but its never got to the point of a complete lockup.

[small]No! No! You're not thinking ... you're only being logical.
- Neils Bohr[/small]

How about an Access pass-thruough query to your DB2 database to take advantage of the very strong - powerful (compared to access Jet SQL) engine?

Thanks for the responses...I use pass thru's alot...but some of the queries can get complex...
what I'm looking for in the dual core is the ability to alt-tab to another application while the query is running.
What happens now is that Access seems to lock up the whole PC. I have no issue with a query taking some time to group by etc....but as long as I can alt-tab to something else.
Can you alt-tab to something else while running a large query with that dual core processor???

Thanks

presumeably you are running a saved query in access against a back end database...

what this actually does is make your local machine retrieve ALL the data in ALL the tables referenced, and then in your local machine, it will process the query.

this is probably the most ineffecient way you can do things...

definitely use pass through queries, and if they get complex, then split your query so you have a pass through query to get all the external data, and another query to join the external data with the data in your access db...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thank you Crowley16 for the response. I see what you're talking about about all the data being processed locally.
I will definitely utilize more pass-thrus....

Does this same thing occur when using Access queries on front-end with access tables on the back-end?

~Melagan
______
"It's never too late to become what you might have been.

Yes, if the tables are large enough. I don't care how long a query takes, as long as I can alt-tab to something else and have a stable operation. Additionally, when I am given an assignment, in order to solve it, it can take creating several queries (make table queries) then grouping.....

I wonder if an extra gig of RAM will do alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back