Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using HP LTO drives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpp

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
if so, please let me know your experiences.

So far so good. Been in operation for about two months. Using the removable internal model in a 5500 enclosure with ArcServe 2000/Windows 2000 server.

Just commisioned an HP 1/20 autoloader on an HP8000r running W2K Advanced Server. No bad things have happened yet with the LTO. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

I've had nuff probels with LTO drives! Do not apply labels in any other location than the recess for the barcode label. I have just had to replace 6 LTO drives in my 6/60 library due to labels peeling off and jamming the tapes in the drives. If your using a library or autoloader, ensure that your firmware is up to date and that ALL devices have compatible firmware revisions.....shall I continue?

No offense, but that is just common sense with an autoloader. Why would you apply barcode/labels anywhere BUT the label recess slot, especially in a robotic tape library.

Most people dont even use the barcode labelling system. It can be a nightmare and they will peel off no matter where they are. The LTO is a fantastic unit and aside from the odd barcode label problem, they are very dependable and I highly recommend them.

HI, I have an MSL5000 that I have just replaced the SDLT drive with a LTO. The new drive will not initialise, and I beleive that you require a "maintenance code" in order to tell the loader mech that it now has an LTO instead of SDLT. I purchased this unit second user and do not have the manuals, and cannot find this "magic code" anywhere. Does any one a) have the manual and could forward the code to me, or b)know where I can find the service manual.

Download Library and Tape tools from HP and see if it recognizes the drive. If it does not then you will have to call HP to have them walk you through the process of clearing the admin password. You wont find that process on the net as it is HP confidential. Good luck
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back