Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone used the Linksys VPN Router with a PIX for vpn connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agh3

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
US
We have a pix 525 [v5.1(1)] with the triple DES option. I've purchased the Linksys VPN Cable Router [] for my home cable connection.

Haven't read up on all the steps to set it up yet, just wondering if anyone else has done it yet?

TIA Andrew G. Hargreave, III SANS GSEC
(email) agh3@agh3.com
(web)

I'm currently using the Linksys VPN router to connect one of my small branch offices to the main network. I am having a little problem it, either the PIX or Linksys counts too slow!!!!

I have the timeouts set to 24 hours on both of the boxes. The PIX reaches 24 hours and starts the re-key. The Linksys show's that it has 28 more minutes to go, and ignores the re-key request. The PIX then drops the connection, which kills the tunnel. 28 minutes later, the Linksys try's to re-key, which the PIX see's as a new connection. So, everyday the connection drops for 28 minutes.

I'm not sure if I am the only person to experience this, but since it's a temporary connection we've just dealt with it. (It drops at midnight when no-one is on)

could you please provide a sample of the command line to put in the pix and what you did on the linksys end

Unfortunately, the company I was working for at the time went out of business before I got the chance to set it up.

I don't have access to a pix anylonger to try it out. I'm struggling now to get it to hook up with a Sonicwall Firewall/vpn without much luck. Andrew G. Hargreave, III (giac.org GSEC)
(email) agh3@agh3.com
(web)

I have one set up. It was rather easy, so just need to know the terms in use by each end, and know how they translate to the other end, since you need to have the configs match for the most part exactly the same. I set this up months ago, and do not remember how it was done off the top of my head. But if you must know I can pull up the router and look at its configs, same for the PIX 501 that is in use.

EV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back