Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone use PCAP/TAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2001
US
Has anyone here used pcap/tap? If so, have you had any luck getting this into another sniffer to view the results? If so, which one?

I open them in Netmon ver. 2 or Ethereal (the Pcap file is saved with a .cap extension. Of the two, I prefer Netmon.

Do you convert the file first before downloading? Where can I find netmon?

V11: If you could please help me with this, here's what I'm doing:

1. I use pcap to capture the data
2. Open the capture with tap
3. Save the data out as a PCAP file as test.cap
4. Open the latest version of Ethereal and try to open the file
5. I get a message that says "Ethereal can not understand the file format"

Are you doing something different?

Netmon is Microsoft's Network Monitor. I believe it comes with the advanced server software or you have to buy Microsofts SMS.

That said, I leave TAP at the default when I save the file ---default is Network General Sniffer. My Ethereal is version 0.9.2(C) My PCAP/TAP is Walts ver 3.00.

How big is the file?

I hope this helps.

We are running version 2.10 and this could be the problem. I will have to contact Nortel about getting a newer version. I checked our Optivity v10 CD and it included PCAP/TAP, but it still was version 2.10.

We have Netmon, I will just have to run it down. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back