Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone up for Smoking a Fag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IknowMe

Programmer
Aug 6, 2004
US
First a little history.

I live near a large Military Base in the US which recently welcomed members from The Royal Air Force for maintanence and training missions here in Utah.

I was speaking with one of the British Air Men and while talking he asked if we could step outside so he could "Smoke a Fag." (for those in the US a fag in the UK would be a cigarette).

When I finally stopped laughing I explained to him that in the US the word fag would be used to describe a homosexual person (albeit rudly), while the word smoke can also be used to reference killing someone. Then we both laughed, it was great fun.

When we finished our cigarettes I jokingly asked him if he intended on commiting any additional hate crimes while visiting the US.

It got me wondering what other statements people have heard that get this "Lost in Translation" between different languages (UK to US English or any other language).

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

A faggot is also be a food dish (sort of a meatball).

To be "fagged out" is to be tired.

[Cheers]

mjl, the term faggot (chiefly British), meaning a bundle or roll of flammable material(s), I believe, is a fairly good indication of how fag became a (chiefly British) term of endearment for cigarettes.

Additionally, I believe that the occasional "flamboyance" of some alternative-lifestyle adherents is what gave rise to the American appellation, "fag", in the sense that it exists now.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Good wordplay ,Dave, and yes CorBlimeyLimey I agree about Dame Edna, but an Aussie is only an upside-down Brit after all!

Thanks, Ken, but no wordplay intended...I honestly believe that my assertion represents the genesis of the American sense of the term "fag"/"faggot".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

MrMilson said:
would it be acceptable to kiss a fanny?

That would [blue]depends[/blue] on your aspirations.

Take the buss, or some other pubic transportation! [smilies]

Tim

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

mjldba You're correct: Fairy is a brand of soap, both bath bar and dishwashing liquid. Their motto is (or was) "Have you a little Fairy in your house?"

My ex-wife got a huge kick out of bringing me back a bottle of Fairy Dishwashing Liquid from her last trip to Ireland. (Yes, I remotely resemble the American version of "fairy", as well as several of the other words discussed in this thread). Fortunately for her, I have a good sense of humor about it. I keep the bottle on display in my kitchen.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

When I was growing up, the slang term "Smoke a fag" was synonymous to "Smoke a joint" before the latter became popular. Both refering to marijuana use.

Add, NO, I didn't and still don't do either. :)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

While working in the U.S. (I'm Irish) a work collegue (also Irish) said someone had 'made a balls of' some program (it didn't work). Nobody understood what he meant and I was asked to explain. I said someone had made a 'cock-up'. Everyone seem embarrased. I thought it best not to explain further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back