Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone up for Smoking a Fag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IknowMe

Programmer
Aug 6, 2004
US
First a little history.

I live near a large Military Base in the US which recently welcomed members from The Royal Air Force for maintanence and training missions here in Utah.

I was speaking with one of the British Air Men and while talking he asked if we could step outside so he could "Smoke a Fag." (for those in the US a fag in the UK would be a cigarette).

When I finally stopped laughing I explained to him that in the US the word fag would be used to describe a homosexual person (albeit rudly), while the word smoke can also be used to reference killing someone. Then we both laughed, it was great fun.

When we finished our cigarettes I jokingly asked him if he intended on commiting any additional hate crimes while visiting the US.

It got me wondering what other statements people have heard that get this "Lost in Translation" between different languages (UK to US English or any other language).

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Hi,
I wonder if, after smoking that fag, he was going to knock up some local girl?

( Meaning knocking on her door - i.e visit - unlike in the US where it is much more serious)..

If she rejected him, I imagine that, as a soldier he would 'keep his pecker up' ( that is, 'keep a stiff upper lip' not a stiff .....)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

About a year after coming to Canada, my wife actually told a somewhat depressed Catholic priest to "keep his pecker up". It raised his spirits (if nothing else) after explaining what that expresion meant here.

[Cheers]

A friend had a student from the UK staying with him when he was in elementary school (grade school/5-10 years old).

My friend's father took them shopping for school supplies as the school year was about to begin. The visitor was on a different isle when he yelled out, "I need some rubbers. Do you see any over there?".

Quite a shock for my friend's father (and anyone else within earshot, I'm sure) to hear a boy less than 10 asking for these!

Rubber in UK = eraser
Rubber in US = condom

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Can't wait to go home and tell my wife I managed to keep my pecker up all day (while at work no less).

When I first arrived in the UK in 1971, I was wearing a very light-weight business suit from my native California. The most, frigid English air seemed to cut right through my flimsy suit, straight to the bone. My colleagues suggested that I go down to Burtons, the purveyor of fine, tailor-made wool suits and apparel. I also needed other clothing accessories, so I decided to proceed to my friendly local Burtons.

The saleslady asked, "How may I help you?"

My response, "Well, to get started, could you please show me your pants and suspenders?"

The look of shock on her face told me immediately that what we had here was a failure to communicate...I had apparently just asked her (in "British"), "Could you please show me your panties and garters?"[blush]

Later, while visiting some new, English friends, they asked me what I did for a living back in America. I explained that I was a full-time student and a part-time ski patroller at local ski resorts. They said that they had always wanted to start up skiing, but it was so expensive, especially the clothing. I responded, "Oh, it's not that expensive...I just ski in my parka and knickers."

When they stopped roaring with laughter, they explained their mental image of me shussing down the slopes in a coat and very brief women's panties.[blush]

We lived in "digs" (a bed-and-breakfast flat in Lincoln) and since we had a car but our land lady had not, she asked us if we would please take her "tellie" down to the TV repair shop. We said, "Certainly" and asked her what we should say is wrong with it. She presumed, "I believe it has a bad valve." My American buddy and I gave each other a "she's-obviously-an-idiot" glance and took the TV in for repairs.

When we picked up the appliance following repairs, we asked the technician what did he find wrong with it. He explained, "Oh, it just had a bad valve."

It took a British-to-American translation to find out that British televisions did not function with either motor exhaust fumes or running water.

We, of course, soon "learnt" the British-American translations for all parts of our vehicle, the roadway, and other daily terms:

Bonnet = Hood
Mud guard = Fender
Tyre = Tire
Boot = Trunk
Windscreen = Windshield
Zebra crossing = cross walk
Panda car = Cop car
Motorway = Freeway
Round-about = traffic circle
Semaphore = Traffic light
Way out = Exit
Underground = subway system
Bangers = Sausages
Squash & biscuits = Punch and cookies
"Duck" (pronounced "Dook") = Lady (usually mature; Midlands or northward)
"Cock" = Guy (Midlands or northward)
"Mate" = Buddy
Mac = Rain coat
"Brolly" = Umbrella
"Bavah" ("bother") = Fight, disturbance
Tah = Thanks
Tra, Tarrah = Goodbye
Pint = (Imperial pint of) ale/beer
plaster = Band-Aid
"Gizz'us a Guinness" = "May I please have a beer."
"Give me a tinkle." = "Please phone me."
"Please knock me up." = "Please wake me up."
Serviette = napkin
Towel = feminine napkin
Nappie = baby diaper

My American buddy, Randall Warner, found out very quickly that he would need to change his name, since every time he introduced himself to a lovely, young English "Bird" with, "Hi, I'm Randy", he risked getting a slap in the face.[blush]

...And, finally, never, never, ever, suggest that to anyone that you ever kicked, spanked, et cetera, anyone's "fanny".[blush]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

That last line left me wondering....
Santa said:
...And, finally, never, never, ever, suggest that to anyone that you ever kicked, spanked, et cetera, anyone's "fanny".
would it be acceptable to kiss a fanny?

My wife and I had a Brit living with us for a short while some years ago.

One particular morning, I had made a nice southern breakfast. I had spent some time on it, since it is a long standing family recipe. When I was ready to serve, I invited our friend to the table, offering him some biscuts and gravy.

Apparently, when one is from across the pond. This breakfast translates into "brown sauce on oreos." I had to explain the recipe to him before he'd come to the table. It was a good laugh.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

MrMilson said:
...would it be acceptable to kiss a fanny?
Without my explicitly discussing the meaning, a hint to such meaning would come in this response to your question: "It would depend upon the sexual attitudes and behaviours of the woman whose fanny you are kissing."...if you catch my drift.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

My son is shortly to join the RAF as a trainee engineer MrMilson, so it's possible he'll be visiting Utah - I'll warn him about the 'fags'! Fag in the UK also has intimations of a 'junior gopher' at Public (read Private) Schools, as in Tom Brown's Schooldays.

At the age of six (back in 1959!) my father accepted sabatical at Bell Labs in New Jersey and we moved from Britain to the US for a year. When I started at school I was shown a farmyard scene and asked to describe it. There were a number of hens and their male equivalent. My teacher was sufficiently distressed to call my mother when I described the rooster as a 'cock'.

And we Brits have a smutty giggle over the film 'Free Willy'. It's a bit primary school playground but 'willy' over here is like 'cock' over there!

Columb Healy

Your Dad was six when he accepted a sabbattical at Bell Labs? Some prodigy ;-)

It's always embarrassing to post a grammatical hiccup but on this forum... :~/

Columb Healy

Reminds me of a scene in the book 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. A witchfinder is trying to get onto an old British air base, and shows his ID to the American guard on duty. The dialogue is something like:

"What's this here about faggots?"
"Oh we have to have them, we burn them."
"Right on!" And they'd told him the English were soft...

'faggot' being a word for a bundle of sticks used in firelighting

Geraint

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all

Santa said:
"It would depend upon the sexual attitudes and behaviours of the woman whose fanny you are kissing."...if you catch my drift.
Why do I get the feeling we're beating around the bush here Dave?

I've heard of "faggots" as described by AngelB, but how do you make the leap from faggots to fags meaning cigarettes?

SantaMufasa: I've got one to add to your list. I'm pretty sure "faery liquid" means dishwashing soap (like Dawn), at least that's what I can contextually derive from a couple auto detailing BBs I frequent.

Quite a few years ago I was sent to work in London for a few months. One day one of my brit coworkers mentioned that he was going to go buy some new pumps after work because his old ones were hurting his feet! I thought it was very brave of him to be telling people so openly. But, being from California, I was very accepting of other people's lifestyle choices.

Pumps in UK = athletic shoes / tennis shoes
Pumps in US = Woman's high heeled shoes

I thought maybe it was an English thing. After all, a lot of English humor seems to include men dressing as women (Monty Python, Dame Edna, Benny Hill, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back