Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone try Desktop Merssaging on Windows 7? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2006
US
I couldn't get the Nortel fax printer driver to install. I had it working in Vista but I guess that got changed a little too much. (Desktop messaging 5.00.41.17)

The voicemail to email part works and I can receive a fax but I can't send.

Oh well, I know it's a lot to ask from just a release candidate OS but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has tried yet...

I think I remember having the same problem with DTM 4.xx and moving from XP to Vista - I had to get DTM 5.xx for it to work in Vista - I reckon I'll wait and see if Nortel patches it for W7.

Although I was sure I read that everything that works in Vista is supposed to work in 7...lol

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

I presume Nortel will not release any patches since official release of W7 is not until October.

I agree, it's more of a revised Vista platform.

Hopefully somebody has played a little and got it working.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

What you are describing seems to be an issue with the Nortel Printer driver which is what allows you to send faxes. You can try and install the driver manually by pointing to the driver on the desktop messaging CD. You will probably have to extract the files from the exe to a location on your drive.

Thanks Pbx, but I tried that with every compatibility setting I could find all the way back to windows 2000 and still get the log reporting "This printer driver installation utility will not work on the
operating system you are currently running."

Guess I gotta wait.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Whoa - hey, I must have done something because the Nortel Fax now shows up in my list of printers. Even though every install routine I ran gave me the above error.

Guess I have to wait and see if the wife got a fax.

Cool Hand Luke said:

Hi,

having the same problem in Windows 7, but have Desktop messaging 4.x, can anyone tell where I can get the latest version for windows 7 and see if that solves the problem?.
thanks in advanced...

I got mine from my vendor - I can't remember if he charged me for it (we bought a lot of hardware and software and services including upgrades and other patches so it might have been included there).

All I know for sure is had no luck at all with v4 but somehow accidentally got v5 working.

Cool Hand Luke said:

the vender that we had, does not exist no more, it went broke, is there any way that you can send me a copy?

Sorry - No can do - Nortel is offering DTM 5 at 50% off per license right now.
Not sure how you have to be set up with them to buy it but I can promise you there is a vendor in your area willing to sell it to you if Nortel won't do it directly.

In fact, if you can post your general area, the guys here probably know a reliable vendor in your area and would be willing to share the contact.

Cool Hand Luke said:

Have the 85 licenses, what I need is the client software, because the one that I have wont install properly on windows 7, it says "This printer driver installation utility will not work on the operating system you are currently running."
hope that you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back