Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone tried SK with Windoz 11? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgpiper

Technical User
Feb 25, 2013
US
Hi all,

I'm beginning to be badgered by M$ to install Windoz 11. But, before I do that, I'd like to be sure that SK will still work. When Windoz 10 came out, I waited until M$ upgraded my spouse's computer to Win 10. Then, I tried installing SK on her computer. Once I managed that, then I felt comfortable upgrading my own computer to Win 10. I'd prefer not to fiddle with my spouse's computer when she's not around (at least not her OS), so I was wondering if anyone here had made the switch to Win 11, and if there were any issues getting SK running on it.
thanks,

It's been a while since you posted, but thought I'd let the community know that I just installed SideKick 98 on a Windows 11 operating system using the same instructions for a Windows 10 install ... and it works just fine. Now, that Windows 11 is a real challenge...

Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will come as a comfort to a lot of people on this forum. Sadly, the issue is no longer of concern to me. After having spent the past year getting three defective computers in a row from Dell, and having them hassle me big time about returns/refunds, I've given up on the Windowz experience and moved on to a MacBook. My only regret in making this move is that I'll no longer be able to use SideKick, something on which I've relied for some quarter of a century.

Such a shame, I found a similar situation after having used ActiveWords for over 10 years, when they changed the ActiveWords program and it meant that all my previous scripts became unusable. I believe however that there is a workaround.

"Can you have a Windows operating system on a Mac?
With Boot Camp, you can install and use Windows on your Intel-based Mac. Boot Camp Assistant helps you set up a Windows partition on your Mac computer's hard disk and then start the installation of your Windows software."
To install Windows, use Boot Camp Assistant, which is included with your Mac.

Check your Secure Boot setting. Learn how to check your Secure Boot setting. ...
Use Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition. ...
Format the Windows (BOOTCAMP) partition. ...
Install Windows. ...
Use the Boot Camp installer in Windows.

17 Nov 2020

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Well, I have an M1 Mac, and as I understand things, BootCamp no longer works. I believe there might be a work around for the M1 Macs [], but I've yet to try it. Years ago, I had an old MacBook, and when I tried dual booting the thing just hung up. It was way too underpowered. My new MacBook might be ok. At the moment, I'm still booting up my old, 2013 PC along side the MacBook. If the only thing I run on it is SK, the performance is peppy enough that I don't get bored waiting to accomplish my tasks. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back