Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone switch from Peachtree to Quickbooks? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
We have been using Peachtree (currently 5.0) for about 8-9 years now and each year we swear under our breath when the period closings screw everything up and we insist that we're changing to another accounting suite. Well, it happened again. We've heard good reviews about Quickbooks and was wondering if anyone who was familiar with Peachtree had switched to Quickbooks and what your thoughts and observances were.

All responses appreciated.

I like peachtree a lot better than quickbooks, although I am not a peachtree expert. Why are you using such an old package? I guarantee you will like peachtree 2002 much better.

Typically, anytime someone decides they want new software, I beleive the first thing that needs to be done is a needs analysis. Then, see if the existing software can meet those needs. In your case I would scrap the second idea since you are on such an old solution.

As a person that has spent a great deal of my life implementing software solutions, it is MHO that the biggest issues with software are typically not software problems, they are discipline problems and/or lack of commitment by management to fully implement the solution in house and/or keep up with technology. The fact that you are using a 10 year old version of peachtree makes me think there may be a lack of commitment in your organization.

If you go to a new software just because you don't like peachtree, but you fail to do a needs analysis and you still have discipline, implementation and commitment problems, you (or your replacement) will be making another post just like this in a couple of years at most.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck. Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

Free, free. I am free at last.
I got so annoyed at Peachtree's inadequacies that I wrote my own accounting system (in MS Access). Having run parallel for a long time, I switched over at the end of December. Free at last:
- No more switching entities (I have about six of them, and half my time was spent opening Peachtree 'companies'.
- No more switching accounting periods. The other half of my time was spent switching accounting periods, especially just after the start of a period when I was entering a mix of transactions for the current and previous periods.
- No longer are my reports limited to just two years of data. Data can stick around forever, and be included in reports.
- No longer need I invent clever, abbreviated account, reference, and line item descriptions that squeeze into Peachtree's ridiculously short restrictions.
- No longer does the system ever ever get out of balance. Too many times Peachtree's trial balance DRs and CRs came up different. (Accounting's original sin.)
- And now I can make consolidated reports again. Starting with Vrs 7, Peachtree disabled a function necessary for this. So I was stuck on Vrs. 6. Well, at least I gave them no money for upgrades.
- And on and on and on.
Free, free at last.
(Well, I only do General Ledger, so I did not have to make Receivables, Payables, Inventory, ...)
PS. I don't know a damn thing about Quickbooks. Tom Budlong
TomBudlong@Bigfoot.com

We have been approached by a number of customers to do conversions to QuickBooks and they seem happy.

A little late for your question but, I echo the response that you need a good analysis before you do anything. Getting the newest version of PT would probably help a great deal. Switching is OK, but each has it's strengths and weaknesses. You can also reenter your beginning balances into a new PT as if you are going to a new system, as I have found that once a PT file starts screwing up, sometimes it's hard to stop it. QB is more stable.

Quickbooks is a BAD solution for companies with extensive inventory, or companies that like to do a great deal of analysis and custom reporting. It is absolutely imposible for any manufacturing. Be careful before you switch you don't just get a different set of problems.

Could anyone tell me if you have used Quickbooks and Peachtree

Their:

*The Strengths
*The Weaknesses
*Targeted Audience
*How easy it is to learn it

Which one would your recommend and why?

I would really appreaciate any help.

Omar

One of the biggest advantages of PT over QB is the ability to
export and import comma delimited files . If you have two companies that you want to combine or rebuild a company you can do it in PT but not in QB.
PT has normal journals and the ability to summarize journals.
Inventory can be done in FIFO , LIFO and Average not just Average like QB. QB is more popular and is responding faster to problems it's had in the past . ie closing periods and defaulting to the cash account that was done last. see QB 2002.
If you're not a bookkeeper or accountant don't do your books without the supervision of one. It doesn't matter what program you use.
QB is better at segregating divisions and expenses. ie job costing, classes If your accountant is used to a normal Cash Disbursement Journal and doesn't like or use QB use PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back