Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone Running MF XP on a VMWare ESx Server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrashburn

MIS
Mar 5, 2001
US
We have started using VMWare 2.5 ESX. I'm thinking about building another Metaframe server on top of it (since the MF license isn't needed). Anyone done any testing in this environment yet?

Cheers!

Don't know about the version, but Citrix themselves use VM on demo's etc.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

I am using VMWare ESX server version 2.1
We currently have 3 Citrix XP production servers on it.

If you are running XP you will not need a server license but you will still need connection licenses (you probably already now that).

Works well, haven't had any issues with it so far.
Our host OS is Linux and our Guest OS are Win2k and Win2k3.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! It doesn't seem a supported platform by Metaframe (or much of anyone else - YET). But I theorized that it would be a superb combination.

You should look into upgrading to 2.5, esp. for SAN support.

I am running 10 Citrix MF XPe FR3 server on VMware currently and am in the process of converting another 60 of my production servers to ESX 2.5 (soon to upgrade from 2.1). Both Vendors support the other as pated below!!

If you have any questions or issues, please POST them and we can do our best to assist.

Actually, the statement that Citrix does not support this platform is incorrect. The following is pasted from:

Citrix supports the MetaFrame XP and MetaFrame Presentation Server products running on guest instances of Microsoft Windows Servers hosted by VMware ESX and GSX Servers as well as Microsoft’s Virtual Server 2005 under the terms listed below.

For the purposes of this article the term “virtual server” means a guest instance of a Windows Server operating system running on virtualization server software provided by VMware or Microsoft.

Summary

“Virtual servers” provide mainframe-class virtual machines on Intel Architecture servers, and is ideally suited for consolidating and partitioning systems in high-performance environments.

Software Requirements

• VMware ESX Server v.2 or greater

• VMware GSX Server v 2 or greater

• Microsoft Virtual Server 2005

• Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003

• Citrix MetaFrame XP Feature Release 2 or greater software with Hotfix XE102W014 or Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server 3.0 or greater

Terms of Support

• Citrix will make a best effort attempt to resolve issues with MetaFrame Presentation Server running on VMware or Microsoft virtual server environments.

• For non-configuration issues with Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server software running on virtual servers, Citrix will make an effort to create a hotfix if the exact same issue can be reproduced on physical hardware in addition to a virtual machine.

Mike Brown

Hello,

Just stay away of Citrix guest machines running over VMWare ESX 2.5.1 if your host machine is an IBM x443/x445 series.

It is deathly slow and all the "support" I've had from Citrix, Microsoft and IBM is "ask VMWare". So we are on our own with a 60.000€ machine that needs four times virtual resources than physical resources on other Citrix servers to achieve a less than regular performance. And even in this conditions we can't have more than 10 users per virtual machine.

Searching the Internet we have found references to problems using VMWare and Citrix over host machines using the NUMA memory architecture. We are still waiting for feedback from VMWare and/or IBM.

Regards,
Víctor

Hello Mr. Brown, thank you for replying.

I actually haven't started running it as of yet... it was just a general question (I actually had a different Citrix question, reason I was here). I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this combination. I've been very happy with ESX (on HP Proliant servers and AMD Opteron processors)... Citrix on the other hand, oh - that's a different thread - LOL

This is for MR. Brown
I know this is an old post but I would like to know what your server hardware you are using, We are trying to get vmware running on a hp dl380 dual 2.8 processor 6 gig ram. two citrix servers running and when they hit over 15 users on it the server might as well be shut down. Not any abnormal programs, just basic office outlook etc. Have been in contact with the vmware techsupport and they have logs etc. Have done all the mods they have suggested with no change in performance, at this point I am not impressed with vmware and citrix.
I see where you said you have 10 citrix severs running, but how many user are on them?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back