Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone manufacture a digital phone system comparable in quality to Norstar line (CICS/MICS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog81

Technical User
Nov 14, 2012
US
Howdy! Wondering if any manufacturer produces a line of DIGITAL phone systems comparable to the quality of the discontinued Nortar CICS/MICS product line. I know Toshiba has the Strata line, NEC makes the DSX line, and ESI makes a digital-hybrid line of small office phone systems. But are any of these comparable to the quality of the old Norstar MICS/CICS line of phone systems? Yes, I know VOIP is the new standard, but what is the best option as far as digital phone systems are concerned that aren't EOS.

As most of you guys are from across the pond, it's very interesting to hear the various comments. Everyone has made valid comments. Bearing in mind the age of some of the telephone systems, it's easy to get drawn into the debate. For me, I was involved when the Norstar 6+16 was first introduced in the UK.

Compared to what else was around at that time, mid 1990's it was years ahead of it's time. It's easy to forget the passing of time since then, even we have aged!. Anyway from a Maintainence and installer point of view, those old beasts never had moving parts to fail, i.e. fans and hard disks etc. No wonder that there are still many customers with them today.

The same can be said for the Meridian 1 Option 11, 11e and 11c 10 slot cabinet systems. Time moves on and things changed. Like most things these days, more features and functions can create more problems and hassle.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I used to work with a group of guys that all had over 30 years in the telco business. They would tell me stories about how they watched the industry move from analog Stromberg-Carlson XY Central Office switches to the first all digital Northern Telecom DMS-10 switches, and how revolutionary those DMS-10s were. Its a real testament to Nortel that over 30 years later, those DMS-10s were still in use and working, but were the victims of depreciation, and had to be replaced to keep the accounting for the business in the black. To them, it was almost like a family member died the day Nortel filed for bankruptcy. Those guys seemed to be pretty impressed with the feature rich/all IP Metaswitch that replaced the DMS-10s, however. One 50 pound box replaced 10 truck loads of DMS-10 equipment bays and cabling that got sold for scrap. Amazing how technology rapidly changes...

Genband actually still maintains and produces a Nex gen product for the DMS and SL-100 portfolio called the C15 and C20 which supports Nortel M5000 and 1100/1200 ip phones.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

They actually support a unique sip protocol called CICM, carrier voip. Apparently Northwestern university uses this setup. Contrasting to that though, their hospital uses Cisco bland call manager.

The small to midsize customers like to save money and often ask about refurb systems. I tell them it is refurbed, comes with and warranty and never tell them who my supplier is even if it is eBay they don't care. Ebay has many great solid sellers with professionally refurb. parts at a great deal. These deals can be passed along to the customers for a lower system and parts cost.

Who is to say that today's popular name won;t be bought or sold tomorrow? Hello CISCO and goodbye!

In terms of price and prestige, what order do the major PBX brands fall in (in your opinion)? I guess what I'm asking is what is the Lamborghini PBX brand, the Buick PBX brand, and the Kia PBX brand? From what I see, Cisco/Shortel/Avaya(Nortel) are at the top, Mitel/Panasonic/NEC are middle way, and Toshiba would be the Kia of the group.

It's interesting in other retailers.....If I don't see a Cisco, Avaya or Nortel product, it's usually Toshiba. I think Toshiba is a pretty rock solid product, I would put it in the middle. I have never seen Mitel at a retailer, only hotels. Panasonic is a great system, but I don't see it anywhere, except some older Abercrombie and Fitch stores (now Cisco).

I know a 70 extension office I worked from 1999-2002 still uses their Toshiba DK Strata system they installed in 1997 and it gives them practically no problems. It's also being installed in all of the Mariano's Fresh Markets in Chicagoland. They page and use their phones like the Bible....all of the managers carry wireless sets with them and are constantly using them.

Interesting useless fact, ever heard a DK Strata phone paging and hung up over a loud speaker? It makes the weirdest suction noise....unlike any other manufacturer.....lol.

My number one choice since I am the UCx guy is for you to investigate the E-Metrotel product, but if you are going with a new digital system and don't want Nortel or E-Metrotel, I am highly suggesting the Toshiba product.

We use Mitel at our healthcare facility, and it seems to work well. We have a mix of IP, digital, and analog sets throughout several buildings. Some of our newer Mitel IP sets are beautifully designed, and come with bluetooth handsets (not headsets mind you), which eliminate the worries of a chord. The digital sets are...ok....but they creak when you hold the handset, and using features aren't as straightforward as other brands I've seen. It is a little weird seeing Mitel in a non-hotel environment, but hey it works for our purposes.

I'm trying to train myself on CISCO all IP hardware, because CISCO appears to be the front runner in VOIP and network switching/routing. Seems just about everyone is slowly but surely abandoning the digital voice method. The main ones that stick with digital are companies that have old Cat3 cabling (that only supports digital or analog), and don't want to pull new cat5/cat6 cables in order to upgrade to VOIP. That will change though, as the cost savings, scalability, and flexibility of VOIP will eventually make upgrades feasible.

Take a look at the ipitomy IPBX system. purely a VOIP system so no "digital" sets. the system is ready for SIP trunking and uses a gateway to convert analog trunks into sip trunks for input and uses T1 cards for PRI input. very competitive, I won't proselytise about it, just find it very useful.

----------------------------
40: Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
50: who put this $%@#(*$ Hill Here??
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Telecommunication Technology Services

Well, seeing as Avaya Purchased Nortel I would suggest looking into IP Office. It's almost identical in terms of functionality and the phones look unreal!!!

Send me an email for details.
apolmans@flclink.com

Also I should note that Cisco has discontinued there UC500, UC540 and UC560 which I imagine would be the Cisco options your looking into. Also Avaya has been a front runner in VoIP and network switching/routing for a very long time(12 years or so), they were the first to come out with the stacking ability and there hot-swapable. And the Ethernet Routing Switch 4000 Series products deliver between 20% to 50% more energy efficiency than leading competitive offerings according to a 2011 Miercom report. And finally they offer sophisticated QoS features built-in.

I like Cisco don't get me wrong but I truly believe in Avaya's line of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back