Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know what this event warning is????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgarner58

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2003
US
The system log in my Win2k server is peppered with the following error:

MRxSmb
Event ID: 3034
Category: none

The redirector was unable to initialize security context attributes.

I have looked this error up on microsoft's website and also on but as of yet have been unable to determine what is causing it. This server is the operations master of our Win2k network. There are 2 other DC's on the network at remote sites that replicate with this server. Those DC's do not have this warning. If it means anything those other 2 DC's are connected to our network via nailed-up VPN. If anyone has any ideas at all I would be most appreciative. The error isn't causing any problems or anything...it just makes me wonder if I have an AD problem brewing. I ran a netdiag and all is well according to it.......

Thanks in advance,

David Garner

Sorry, but when all other sites fail......google it :)

Ok, so I know now that it is a name resolution issue. Apparently there is a computer account out there that has a name that differs from the account name and this error message is being thrown. The question now becomes how do I track this machine down.....

jeez I hate problems like this.

David Garner

lol...hmmm I would look in the dhcp, DNS manager. This might at least give you a name that is causeing the problems. Finding the actual location so you can change the settings...well hmm hope you have comfortable shoes ;) There is no software that I know of that will tell you the location. However if you look in the dns, dhcp manager and find a name that is just a little off of what it is supposed to be, Then maybe you can bounce that off your network diagram and maybe find the location that way. Or if you use a static ip scheme you could find the location that way. or maybe if you have some remote program installed on your clients pc (VNC etc..) aahh nevermind just throughing some ideas out there. Dunno how for sure to track it down maybe some other peeps out there will have some better ideas.

I was having the same troubles to. I also wasn't able to determine to cause of this error.

Then finaly, after i removed Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 and rebooted the errorlog was looking empty as it was before.. No more MRXsmb! Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back