Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know what ports to Block Hotmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I need to block Hotmail logins. Anyone know the ports. I found 4309 and 4310 by using my sniffer software, but suspect there is more to this than just 2 ports?

TIA
Keith

One problem is that Hotmail is a WEB based service, so you would have to block access to these specific websites/IP addresses, not ports...

That said...

Hotmail has a LARGE number of servers, that seem to be everchanging and the MSN Messanger client can use just about any open port for communication to the server (default = messenger.hotmail.com on port 1630 if I recall)...

better bet is to create acceptable use policies that say Hotmail is not permitted to be accessed and XYZ will happen if you are caught... then catch someone and make an example... Technology can fix alot, but security is worthless without good policies

--d3vNull

MSN Messenger is easy to block. I blocked access to messenger.msn.com then applied my FAQ:

faq83-3390

Name: hotmail.com
Addresses: 64.4.33.7, 64.4.32.7

No matter how many servers they have that's all you need to be concerned with blocking via firewall are those addresses. Will do you little if someone decided to use a proxy server. You could try creating some form of listening regex based script to block something on the fly but it would likely be a resource hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back