Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know SUS and WUAU? I have a WUAU client problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wescoosoft

Programmer
Oct 1, 2002
US
I receive the updates to the local computer but it only
wants to install when an administrator is logged in. I
don't have it set this way on the server. And it's suppose
to be unattended install. Neither work. Any ideas as to why
the install won't take place while Joe user attempts to login? The WUAU runs under the system context. Thanks all.

Bob

You must disable the GP attribute "Disable patching" also see "Enable user to patch elevated products."

You can find these in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > WIndows Installer.

WARNING: The machine will reboot in 45 seconds if the patch requires it. Also, enabling this attribute allows users to update applications such as O2K, Acrobat, Autocad, etc.

Paul

Bob if you are running active directory you would need to create security grps for your users with every grp with levels of access.

Lets say all class 1 in the classonegrp, now make this group local admins and you should be fine.

Ö¿Ö

Have you scheduled the install ?

If its only users who log on to the workstation, you need to schedule the install.
Find the latest WUAU.ADM, its dated around august 2003. With that you get the option to set install time at 3.00 AM, and then it automatically reschedules till a few minutes after the machine starts, when the users come in at 8 AM.

Thanks for all the replies. We found the domain controllers
had outdated WUAU.ADM files or something along those lines.
Everything is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back